Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 PM
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Re: Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's usually a type of specialty ultrasound. The way those thickness gauges work is by measuring the impedance mismatch between the steel and the air. It travels through the steel, reflects off of the interface between the steel and air, and returns to the instrument, and the phase shift and/or travel time is measured to calculate the thickness.

Layers of paint of different polymer density or with different types of filler/pigment can cause problems because of the impedance differences too, which is why that can interfere with the wall thickness readings. The way I understand it, the big problem is mostly the overall thickness of the paint, not that there are multiple layers. Multiple layers usually just mean a lot of overall paint buildup...

On a loosely related side note, the early (higher powered) medical ultrasounds would have to be moved around constantly. If you were scanning on someone's torso, and the ultrasound probe was held in one spot, you could burn someone's back (the other side of the torso). The impedance mismatch creates a lot of power dissipation where the skin meets the air. I used to work at a sonar company for an engineer who was a medical ultrasound pioneer, I have lots of interesting trivia rattling around..
Christ man, is there anything you don't know? Make me your apprentice!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Christ man, is there anything you don't know? Make me your apprentice!
Sometimes I just happen to know a few things by complete coincidence. What do sonar, ultrasound, and cars have in common? Pretty much nothing unless you're doing UTM (ultrasonic thickness measurement) on something like a roll cage... This is one of those rare times when something actually crosses over from one thing to another. LOL..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

brian your best bet is to rattle can it...if you try to use a compressor/spray gun you will have paint everywhere...

with a rattle can you can get it in tight places without getting it everywhere,

unless the cars gutted or the cage is removable then thats what i would do...if it is removable then take and get it powdercoated...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Touch-up spray gun? Small fan pattern, good control, just like a rattle can...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

yes but if he doesnt have all that...by the time he buys it....oh wait this is brian(10corvettesinthedriveway) were talking about...

hes fine..if he dont have it he will get it..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

I see a complete (but low budget) downdraft spray booth built in the garage by the time this is done.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

your probably right...lol
Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

LOL I have no intentions of building a spraybooth setup in my garage.... that's what Gary's Vettebarn is for The car would be 100% gutted.... race car only.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Beach Cruiser
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

If it's gutted and no masking required, I would just use a normal spray gun with something that doesn't require to many coats, acyrilic enamal perhaps. as with any paint, prep is the key, but all those nooks and crannies will be difficult to get too. You can aply good prep to the areas that will stand out, which will also be the easiest to get too, just make sure you wipe it all down clean before you spray. If it's still bare steel, I would hit it with some sort of metal etch primer first. Also, be mindful of the color, you don't want any color that will be distractful to the driver if the sun hits it right. We used to do the Winston Cup car in a semi gloss medium grey color, the whole interior, floor pans roll bars ect...

Just have the seat covered in Whale Penis leather, I've heard it helps hold the driver tight...
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Thanks.... I would just to it all in white.