Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Apexi VAFC and CROME Need Some Help

Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Mau5head
-RepLegion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head
Default Apexi VAFC and CROME Need Some Help

Ok, Here's my plan if it will work. I Bought a stock P06 last night and a Apexi Vafc, And Today I ordered my chip kit and VTEC conversion kit for the 11F0 board P06. So after I chip it and add vtec to the ecu I will be tuning it with CROME Gold Just because I dont want to tune off of piggy back systems cuz they suck. So after I Tune can I use the VAFC Just as a VTEC controller? Because it would be so much eaiser to press a coulple of buttons then to have to take the chip out hook the burner up to the computer change the setting and have to put the ecu back and all the other stuff. So will this work?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Apexi VAFC and CROME Need Some Help

So here's the story about how the ECU works. There are two sets of maps (two ignition and two fuel maps); one set for before VTEC engages and one set for after VTEC engages. When the ECU engages VTEC, it switches to the other set of maps. If you use a VTEC controller, the VTEC controller has no way of switching maps inside the ECU, so you're not going to be on the right map unless the VTEC controller and ECU are switching at the same RPM anyway.

Why you want a VTEC controller when you have a tuneable ECU is kind of confusing. If you're going to tune on a dyno you should set your VTEC crossover RPM based on your dyno plots and then leave it where it is. You don't really have any reason to change it after that, because you're not really going to get any better than that. So if you are tuned properly, there isn't any need for a VTEC controller, and you shouldn't be screwing around with VTEC RPM because you'll just be screwing up the proper tuning.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-15-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Mau5head
-RepLegion

Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So here's the story about how the ECU works. There are two sets of maps (two ignition and two fuel maps); one set for before VTEC engages and one set for after VTEC engages. When the ECU engages VTEC, it switches to the other set of maps. If you use a VTEC controller, the VTEC controller has no way of switching maps inside the ECU, so you're not going to be on the right map unless the VTEC controller and ECU are switching at the same RPM anyway.

Why you want a VTEC controller when you have a tuneable ECU is kind of confusing. If you're going to tune on a dyno you should set your VTEC crossover RPM based on your dyno plots and then leave it where it is. You don't really have any reason to change it after that, because you're not really going to get any better than that. So if you are tuned properly, there isn't any need for a VTEC controller, and you shouldn't be screwing around with VTEC RPM because you'll just be screwing up the proper tuning.
Well, I know all about the different maps and tuning part and such fabrik im EFI Certified, im sorry I didnt mention that. But I have not seen people using vtec controllers on a chipped ECU before, What Im asking is if i set the vtec on the chip to the stock point can i change it with the vtec controller? as I Will be playing around with the vtec point for when i go on boost. and as for what you said I have no want to tune off of the VAFC. piggy back systems suck. I just want to be able to change vtec on the fly
Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I don't think you paid attention to anything I said. If you knew all about the different maps and the tuning stuff, you wouldn't need to ask these questions because the answers would be completely obvious. I'm not trying to be a pissed-off smartass, but you just said you knew all about everything and then completely ignored and discounted everything I said at the same time.

Yes, you can change the VTEC engagement point with the VTEC controller. Then you can easily change to whatever RPM you want VTEC to engage, regardless of when the ECU switches maps and regardless of how well the ECU is tuned. So then you can engage VTEC when the ECU is on the wrong map.

You do know how the VTEC controller works...? It doesn't have anything to do with the ECU, all it does is engage VTEC. It doesn't communicate with the ECU, and could completely care less about what the ECU is doing. That's why it's a piggyback, because piggybacks interrupt the signals from the ECU and completely override them. That's why it has some fuel tuning capability, because you'll need to do some tuning to compensate for the ECU possibly being on the wrong map when VTEC engages. Basically, it does everything you need to do when you're overriding the ECU for whatever reason. So no, the VTEC controller can't change any settings inside the ECU, if that's what you're actually asking....?

I guess the definitive answer to your question is that there isn't any reason to use a VTEC controller if the ECU is properly tuned. If you still want to use a VTEC controller, your ECU isn't properly tuned. If it is properly tuned, it won't be anymore if you start messing around with VTEC RPM with a VTEC controller. There is a reason you don't see people using VTEC controllers with tuned ECUs (hint: there isn't any reason to use one). I'm not sure if I can state this any more clearly.

What you're basically asking is "can I completely override the ECU in the most ghetto way possible after I get done tuning my ECU the proper way...?".

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-15-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

BTW, what does it mean when you say that you're "EFI Certified"? I'm not familiar with that, I'm assuming that's an ASE certification for auto techs?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Mau5head
-RepLegion

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
BTW, what does it mean when you say that you're "EFI Certified"? I'm not familiar with that, I'm assuming that's an ASE certification for auto techs?
I took a class with EFI University. It's a tuning course teaching you how to tune efi systems. Im going back next year for the advanced course. It's a really nice program for somebody wanting to learn how to tune with out blowing motors up lol. I'm happy with what I learned, The course i took is EFI 101 Its quick but alot of info is tought if you pay attention. Im Really looking forward to taking the advanced class. and thanks for your help i just wanted to know if i could run it as a vtec controller as i will be messsing with the point when i go on boost. here's the link ....

http://efi101.com/efi101.html