Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b18b1 start-up problem!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 AM
fluxhomemade
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade fluxhomemade
Default Re: b18b1 start-up problem!

Could be anything really:
- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Idle Air Control Valve (common issue)
- Bad alternator that causing the battery to be drained while running
- Bad battery
- Bad grounding
- bad or incorrect routing of vacuum hoses

more information please

Originally Posted by Sellmesomething
When i first got the car when you first started it up after leaving it alone for awhile it kinda did a sputter bog until i hit the gas for a few seconds then it would idle/drive just fine. I left it alone for a few days and when to go start it the other day and it cranks but doesnt want to turn. Could it be a injector or rather a fuel pump problem?
This makes me think its the FPR, but you should still be able to start it after priming the fuel system. I am almost certain it's a dying pump and may be combined with a weak FPR. GL

Last edited by fluxhomemade; 08-24-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Sellmesomething
Registered Member

Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething

Sorry i went on vacation. When i turn try and start it it turns over then tries to start but bubbles at the end but doesnt actually kick over, i dont think its the battery. I keep getting inputs on the relay but im looking more into it today
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Sellmesomething
Registered Member

Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething Sellmesomething

Update! i checked the plugs and the first plug(if your looking from left to right) was full of OIL. I cleaned all the plugs off, cranked it alittle and got it to start. NOW new problem! Guessing the problem is the valvue cover gasket? When i drove it around the block the temp gauge went from middle to red(hot) in a matter for 3 minutes.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Sellmesomething
Registered Member

+the overflow is at a good level
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Sellmesomething
Update! i checked the plugs and the first plug(if your looking from left to right) was full of OIL. I cleaned all the plugs off, cranked it alittle and got it to start. NOW new problem! Guessing the problem is the valvue cover gasket? When i drove it around the block the temp gauge went from middle to red(hot) in a matter for 3 minutes.
Needs a new valve cover gasket; actually it needs the plug well seals (that seal the valve cover spark plug tube to the head) and the valve cover gasket should be replaced once you take the valve cover off. They're two separate gaskets (actually 4 for the plug wells and 1 for the perimeter of the valve cover) so make sure you get everything you need. Usually isn't a bad idea to replace the grommets that go under the main fasteners either, but that isn't always necessary.

About the overheating problem: That's a bad sign. Do not drive it up when it gets that hot, because you'll risk warping the head and/or block. Hopefully the problem is something simple like the thermostat not opening. I wouldn't imagine it's a fan problem because the fan shouldn't need to be running after that short of a time period while you're actually driving. Replacing the thermostat is cheap and easy though, and a good thing to do if you're not sure what the history of the car is.

Fix the overheating problem, and then worry about the rest of the things that are wrong. You can't really troubleshoot the car if it overheats while you're trying to figure out what's going on.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-22-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Sellmesomething
Registered Member

Ya im a moron. I went a bought a thermastat and such but figured hey let me pour some directly into the radiator and see how much it has.. I poured a gallon into it. So i guess i had no fluid in the actual radiator, drove it around for 30 min.. Never crossed the half way point!. So one question, oil filling the spark plug whole will cause it to not turn over. So when i do the gasket i should be good?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yes, replacing the gasket should solve that part of the problem. The oil in the plug well causes the ignition pulse to leak to ground (through the oil) instead of firing the spark plug, which is why you're having problems.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
grgazn
fuck this shit

grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn grgazn

any plumes of white smoke? where u located? i might help ya.