Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

VW GOLF AMMONIA SMELL?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:03 AM
WHITNEYF
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHITNEYF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overheating problem!

Hey guys I have a 96 golf III its a 5 speed and it runs and drives great, there are no service lights on or any issues with it that I have had. The one thing I have noticed is when I have the windows down in the car I am guessing its the exhaust is smelling like ammonia... its really strong. If the windows are up I dont smell anything at all. Once I put them down it is so strong my eyes water and makes me almost sick! What do you think this could be.. I was going to start by changing intake filter on it and a fuel treatment but I am kinda scratching my head on this... any ideas?

fixed the top issue.... now on to the next... the other week the temperature light came on the car was low on fluid. Put more in there it lasted about two days and started to run hot. I was on the way to work so pulled over put in more fluid was hot in about ten minutes added more and again ten minutes later still hot... No smell from exhaust, the oil is fine so I am guessing its not a cracked head or block. Changed the thermostat it was still hot, changed the water pump, still hot. Doesnt seem that the radiator is clogged, if i put water in the top hose it runs straight out of the bottom hose so it doesnt seem that the radiator is even the problem... I am going to get a temp sensor today and see if that works... any other ideas?

Last edited by WHITNEYF; 12-21-2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: changed issues.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM
5literbeater
Registered Member

5literbeater has disabled reputation
Default Re: VW GOLF AMMONIA SMELL?

Have you owned this car for a long time or is it something you just bought? Might be your catalyst going bad.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
TATTRAT
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by 5literbeater
Have you owned this car for a long time or is it something you just bought? Might be your catalyst going bad.
that is more of a rotten egg/sulfur smell.

Sounds like it's been blasted with piss.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Tattrat's technically probably right. A lot of VW's use UREA in the exhaust system. Can't remember exactly why. But yeah, urea is the same shit thats in your piss.

Here ya go

Originally Posted by tdi.vw.com
TDI models use a special catalyst and urea-injection system that reduces NOx emissions by up to 95 percent.

Last edited by burnoutboy; 12-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Tattrat's technically probably right. A lot of VW's use UREA in the exhaust system. Can't remember exactly why. But yeah, urea is the same shit thats in your piss.
It's for diesels. Diesel fuel emissions obviously can't be catalyzed the same was as gasoline emissions. A lot of the newer diesel trucks have urea injection systems also.

I didn't think any of the TDIs of that generation had urea injection though...?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-04-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's for diesels. Diesel fuel emissions obviously can't be catalyzed the same was as gasoline emissions.
I quoted something similar to this in my edit. I really don't know jack about VW or deisel. I heard ammonia piss and VW and this popped in my head LOL.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:50 AM
WHITNEYF
Registered Member

We just got it not long ago I was wondering about the catalyst... urea.... thats news to me but it would also hit the nail on the head as far as the smell goes... I guess we will see what needs to be done to get rid of it the car drives and runs great thats the only problem I am having with it.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 AM
WHITNEYF
Registered Member

Looks like there was a crack in the EGR Valve causing some issues with the exhaust and making the stink... thanks for all of the help! Now we have some overheating issues to take care of... just replaced the water pump and thermostat will be changing temp sensor today... see if we can get this thing back on the road.