Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls motor is overheating!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: ls motor is overheating!!!

I thought that was how I came to my initial internet mechanic guesstimation. But since I actually respect your opinion on these types of matters I'll choose to take that as a compliment regardless of your intent.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 PM
couped
its just a website

couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped

have you messed with it lately
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Kris.Is.Foamin
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

People's lack of common sense kills me.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
5literbeater
Registered Member

5literbeater has disabled reputation

Hey, look on the good side. Now you can tell everyone your VTEC hits so hard it pops head gaskets!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 AM
eball24
Registered Member

eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24

Well thanks everyone for the input
Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 AM
eball24
Registered Member

eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24

Will a b1 head gasket fit on an a1?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 AM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Did you do a compression test yet or are you just gonna do exactly what we didn't want you to do and yank the head?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 AM
STi_FTMFW
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

Another thing you could check...

I had my radiator on the STi go out last weekend. It took me a while to figure out where it was leaking. I would pop the hood and coolant was all over the front of my engine, but I couldn't see a leak. Well for some stupid reason, they have decided to make radiators in a lot of newer cars with plastic end tanks on the top and bottom. The aluminum was separating from the plastic, but ONLY under a lot of pressure. I could idle the car for 30 minutes and wouldn't see a drop come from anywhere. I'd drive a block and smoke would start rolling out of the hood. I didn't actually find exactly where it was until I revved it to 6k a few times, then saw smoke, so I jumped out and ran to the front to find a piss sized stream coming from where the plastic and aluminum meet.

From everything I read on multiple forums, plastic/aluminum radiators seem to always go in this fashion anywhere from Dec-Mar (I noticed this about EVERY post I read about the subject). It's possible yours could be leaking from the bottom of the end tank and not spraying onto something, making it hard to find.

Might not be what's causing your issue, but just some food for thought. I'm actually about to install my new radiator right now, sat at work waiting for FedEx for the last 5 hours waiting on it, lol.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by STi_FTMFW
Another thing you could check...

I had my radiator on the STi go out last weekend. It took me a while to figure out where it was leaking. I would pop the hood and coolant was all over the front of my engine, but I couldn't see a leak. Well for some stupid reason, they have decided to make radiators in a lot of newer cars with plastic end tanks on the top and bottom. The aluminum was separating from the plastic, but ONLY under a lot of pressure. I could idle the car for 30 minutes and wouldn't see a drop come from anywhere. I'd drive a block and smoke would start rolling out of the hood. I didn't actually find exactly where it was until I revved it to 6k a few times, then saw smoke, so I jumped out and ran to the front to find a piss sized stream coming from where the plastic and aluminum meet.

From everything I read on multiple forums, plastic/aluminum radiators seem to always go in this fashion anywhere from Dec-Mar (I noticed this about EVERY post I read about the subject). It's possible yours could be leaking from the bottom of the end tank and not spraying onto something, making it hard to find.

Might not be what's causing your issue, but just some food for thought. I'm actually about to install my new radiator right now, sat at work waiting for FedEx for the last 5 hours waiting on it, lol.
My WRX did that about 3 or 4 years ago (Colorado winters tend to accelerate things like that) with only 40k miles so I put in a nice shiny Koyo aluminum radiator. Whatever type of radiator you get, make sure that the upper coolant hose (when under pressure) doesn't rub the righthand cooling fan because the fan fuse will blow. The wider aluminum radiator will be closer to the hose neck and you will need to trim the hose. Don't ask me how I know that.

By the way, the Koyo OEM replacements for the Impreza fit perfectly if you're wondering, except for the extra thickness and the hose trimming. Excellent upgrade though.

What a completely shit OEM radiator design. My Subaru can handle anything, except properly cooling the engine in the winter without splitting a radiator end tank...
GM radiators are notorious for splitting their plastic end tanks also, as are many other makes/models.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-24-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
sheldonoga
Registered Member

sheldonoga has disabled reputation

I got a 04 sti that i got in 2003 in hawaii and got sent over to virginia that has no problems .but back to your ls bid you check the water pump there is a little hole under it when it's bad there is a spring and bearing that moves and the coolant leaks from there.