Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Question on installing a new AC in a Civic EX, help!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Jake.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question on installing a new AC in a Civic EX, help!

I'm thinking about buying a 1998 Civic EX, it's the perfect car and exactly what I've been looking for, for a really REALLY long time... BUT it has no air conditioning. Normally I wouldn't care but I've been driving a Jeep with no AC for a couple years now, and the summers are getting hotter.

I really want to buy this Civic and make it my daily driver for years on, I would really like for it to have AC.

So how difficult/expensive would it be to install AC in the car? (Apparently has no compressor, no lines, anything.) Would it be worth it? Should I hold off until I find another car with an AC in it all ready?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 AM
crxmadness
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness
Default Re: Question on installing a new AC in a Civic EX, help!

Originally Posted by Jake.
I'm thinking about buying a 1998 Civic EX, it's the perfect car and exactly what I've been looking for, for a really REALLY long time... BUT it has no air conditioning. Normally I wouldn't care but I've been driving a Jeep with no AC for a couple years now, and the summers are getting hotter.

I really want to buy this Civic and make it my daily driver for years on, I would really like for it to have AC.

So how difficult/expensive would it be to install AC in the car? (Apparently has no compressor, no lines, anything.) Would it be worth it? Should I hold off until I find another car with an AC in it all ready?

Thanks
1) Not difficult if you know how to use a wrench.

2) Price will vary depending how many brand new parts you buy. If the car had everything removed then you will need a compressor, new o-rings, condenser, new sealed drier, evaporator, expansion valve, all the bolts, a new belt and all the a/c lines. After installing all this you will need to go to an a/c shop so they can install new h/l valves, pull vaccum, remove old oil, put new oil in, and charge.

3) Everybody will have a different opinion about whether it is worth it or not, so asking other people if it is worth it is a waste of time. If you do enough research on what it will take to install a/c then you will know if it would be worth it or not.

Last edited by crxmadness; 02-13-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 AM
83Stang5.0
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Junkyard car, or get the pieces from part out cars on here, you shouldn't have to spend much at all.

And like he said, if you can turn a wrench, you can hook it all up.

Hell, if you brought me all the parts, I know I wouldn't charge but so much to hook it all up.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Jake.

Jake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond reputeJake. has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think an estimated price would be, if I bought all new? If I used mostly old parts?

and yeah, I'd probably find someone that knows exactly what they're doing to hook it up. I'm new to most of this, and trying to learn as I go.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
83Stang5.0
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

All depends man, if you get the stuff from someone on here, you can lowball the shit out of them, or they might not want much for it anyways. So many Honda's get crushed daily, and still have alot of useful things on it, it's all about who you talk to.

You bring me everything, I'd prob take care of it for like $125, but that's just me so.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Jake.

Well, I think I'm going to check the car out either today or tomorrow. Most likely buying it, so I'll keep in touch with you so I know what I need to get.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
83Stang5.0
Digital Life

Just shoot me a PM, I'll try to help ya out.

From my understanding though, an EX should have had AC from the factory.

I could be wrong, might have been an option. I'd imagine you wouldn't need absolutely everything though.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 PM
PicovAndropov
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

+ rep on the price. def. hella cheaper then taking it to the shop...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
CAPSLOCK
CAPS LOCK BABY

CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK

Originally Posted by skateviktor
+ rep on the price. def. hella cheaper then taking it to the shop...
YOU HAVE TO TURN YOUR REP ON TO PLUS REP ON
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Jake.

doh i didn't end up buying the car, got neg rep'd for this thread baw.