Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

specific mini me timing questions.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
jss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jss has disabled reputation
Default Re: specific mini me timing questions.

gotcha thanks guys im gonna roll with the y8 gear and hope for the best.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you have both blocks, you can take an accurate measurement between the crank and cam centerlines and see what the difference is. Then you can do some math and figure it out what the timing error will be. I might be know to approach things slightly different than most people do though.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM
jhholloway
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you have both blocks, you can take an accurate measurement between the crank and cam centerlines and see what the difference is. Then you can do some math and figure it out what the timing error will be. I might be know to approach things slightly different than most people do though.
OK that would work, but once you have the measurement how do you find the correlation between the difference of the centerline measurement and mechanical timing of the motor?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
jss
Registered Member

shooott just thought of something else.. im looking for the ecu to buy and i wanted a p2p because of the y8 head but since the block wont have a knock sensor and maybe even other things do i have to go obd1 with a p28??
Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by jhholloway
OK that would work, but once you have the measurement how do you find the correlation between the difference of the centerline measurement and mechanical timing of the motor?

The difference in centerline distance makes an angular difference based on the diameter of the cam gear. It's pretty straightforward to calculate a ratio of length to angle based on the cam gear circumference, it's all really simple math.

Measure the cam gear diameter or radius, then calculate the circumference (2*pi*radius or pi*diameter depending on whichever is easier), then divide the circumference by 360. Then you have a linear belt distance per degree of rotation. So if you have a difference in centerline distance, you can now find out how many degrees of timing that will be. There will be a tiny bit of error because the belt is at some angle to the pulleys (the crank and cam pulleys are different sizes) but that change will be very small so the error will be very small also.

If you're changing the thickness of a headgasket, you can use the same concept. The calculated number of degrees will actually be a tiny bit off if the block deck is not at 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the timing belt (which it won't be, especially with a DOHC engine), but it will be close enough to find out whether the change in timing will be enough to worry about.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-26-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 AM
jss
Registered Member

fabrik8 do you have any idea on my ecu's? ^^
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

I'd use a P28 if you want to get tuned. If you want to use the P2P, you'll have to install a knock sensor on the block and make sure you have both O2 sensors installed in the exhaust. I don't know if that block already has a convenient mounting boss for a knock sensor, so that may or may not be an issue. The P2P calibration will probably work decently with the new block, unless something like compression ratio has changed dramatically. Probably good enough for a cheap min-me swap though.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
crasy87rexsi
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

Originally Posted by jss
shooott just thought of something else.. im looking for the ecu to buy and i wanted a p2p because of the y8 head but since the block wont have a knock sensor and maybe even other things do i have to go obd1 with a p28??
Go OBD1 dude, honestly there is no point staying OBD2. P28 doesn't have a knock sensor input, IIRC no D series ECU's have it. The P28 will run it just fine.

Last edited by crasy87rexsi; 07-26-2011 at 09:30 AM.