Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 jetta A/C problem

Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Hooch
Sheeeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch
Exclamation 2000 jetta A/C problem

Ok, bare with me im posting this from my phone...

So ive had this jetta maybe six months or so idk? And it had great a/c up untill the other day. I was driving down the road and got a funny vhemical smell from the vent for a short short moment and then it stafted blowing warm.
I bought a ac recharge kit from adanced auto, the "idQ ARCTICFREEZE ULTRA SYNTHETIC R134a+" well I turn the car on and put fan on high and hit the ac then vonnect the cannister and the needle jumps all the farthest side of the gauge ....deep in the red at 150 psi. If I press the trigger it hits zero and jumps back to 150 soon as I let go....but no matter how long I hold the trigger it never moves from zero until I release it and shoots all the wat to max redzone 150 psi.

Whats the deal here? I know im hooked to the lowpressure nozzel for ac recharge ive done as the directions have told me wtf is going on?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 2000 jetta A/C problem

Have you checked if the compressor clutch is working properly? If it worked great, and then you smelled something chemical and had no more cold air, that almost sounds like the compressor clutch or something might have grenaded and isn't engaging any more.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Hooch
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

Eh, I hate to ask thos but how would I go about checking that.... Ive been bouncing from napa to autozone and every other auto store looking for a service manual but no one has one for the vr6 and im having a hell of a time getting crap to load from google on my phone.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
go4low
Registered Member

go4low can only hope to improve

Do you have any CEL's? I have a Bentley manual for the MKIV and i think it covers the VR6 if it mentions how to check the compressor clutch ill post back letting you know how.