Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

87 Toyota PU trans leak

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Night2
Put it on my tab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night2 has disabled reputation
Default 87 Toyota PU trans leak

Got a guy at work he has an 87 Toyota PU 2.4ltr 2wd auto and we replaced to output shaft deal but fluid is still leakin past the seal after about 2 minutes of the truck running we replaced the seal 3 times since Saturday and still leaking anyone have any idea what would cause this? Tried looking for TSB's but found nothing.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: 87 Toyota PU trans leak

Are you sure you're not messing the seal up when you put it in? Are you sure it's straight? Sounds like y'all aren't doing something right.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's probably a bearing problem. If the bearing has too much play, the shaft can move around too much and deflect the seal enough that it won't seal properly when the shaft is rotating. It's also possible that damage or corrosion on the shaft is destroying the seal surface. There may be another seal inside the tailhousing also, instead of just the outer seal. I can't remember if that's common or not; I know about sealing but nothing about 1987 Toyota automatic transmissions.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Night2
Put it on my tab

Night2 has disabled reputation

seal is not damaged and i talked to a friend and he said something about an extension housing bushing i guess inside the extension housing that if that goes bad it can cause fluid to leak so far 3 people have said the same thing about that bushing so i think im gonna try to replace that bushing then go from there. thanks for the info guys.