Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D16z6 No Boost Build Help Please.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Dillweed
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed
Default Re: D16z6 No Boost Build Help Please.

Originally Posted by BTHASHT
Duh fixed it.
Settings>General settings> show reputation
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
caseyrock
RCKTMAN

caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock

BLOCK:at least 10:1 compression
full rebuild. For god's sake, don't run std pistons. It's a waste of a rebuild because the clearances will be out of spec due to wall wear.
cheapo pistons (unless you want to run NOS, then get forged)
nice piston rings
reconditioned/shot peened stock rods with ARP bolts
race bearings
a blueprint/balance wouldn't be a bad idea since 8000rpm+ isn't out of the question
lightweight flywheel
stage 2 clutch

HEAD:
gasket match ports on head
aftermarket intake manifold- Skunk2 or Edelbrock
header (Bisi makes serious power for serious money) but a 4-1 header will do. Or even a cheapo 4-2-1 ebay header is ok
polish ports and intake manifold
60mm tb and port match the intake to it (you won't need anything bigger)
MSD coil, wires, cap, ignition box-makes a big difference over the stock coil under high cylinder pressures.
Valve springs
Ti retainers-only if you opt for a massive cam or try for really high rpm
cam- Bisi is probably your best bet, just email them and they can set you up with a custom grind. Stg 2+
cam gear-don't cheap out.....a striped cam gear can cause bent valves, certainly so with such tall pistons
fuel pressure REG/Gauge/Rail

Crome would be the best option. Easy to work with yourself and a lot of shops use it. I had a very decent street tune that I did myself on Crome GOLD for my B7. You will want your 2-step to be set around 4500-5000 rpm. Use an Ostrich if you plan on tunning yourself, other wise just get your ECU chipped and take it to a shop and use whatever program they have.

This is coming from experience. I had everything I listed under HEAD done to my b7 (in a Del Slo on 16's) (except a COLT cam and ported on exhaust only with nothing polished and a ebay header) with a stock block only taking it to 7K rpm. I milled the head until it was around 10:1 compression. Little bitch ran good, I was never beat by a single cam or an LS (even though I only raced one ls teg . Tore up a 92 V8 camaro until around 80 lol. Side-by-side with an RSX-S (in his defense though it was wet and he still didn't relly know how to drive it yet) It doesn't take a whole lot to wake these motors up but it does take more than I/H/E. Not having vtec killed my bottom end since I was on the big lobes all the time but do the above and you will certainly see some power and turn heads. In the end though, you probably won't build a motor so I'm just blowing smoke up your ass. But if you stay single cam n/a, this is the way to do it.

Or you could use a stock b7 bottom end and build the vtec head to slap on there, if you shave it you will see decent compression numbers too. Just keep the RPMs below 7500 or so.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
caseyrock
RCKTMAN

caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock caseyrock

Or even swap the internals from a D17 into a D16 block. I head that the Y8 block works best for this. It is a direct swap you just have to machine the snout on the crank down to fit a D16 pulley. Simple, easy, cheap stroker.