Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Let Me Borrow Your EP3 Civic

Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 AM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft
Default Re: Let Me Borrow Your EP3 Civic

Originally Posted by SortaFlush
Believe it or not, the chains stretch.
To be honest, I've heard of chains stretching (due to low oil or whatever) and chains jumping teeth, but I don't know how that's even be possible... Unless you were revving to like 10K on some crazy built drag motor. And like I said, this one is bone stock with 130K on the clock
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
C Ory
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain, Timing Chain.
+1
More than likely it's the timing chain.

First check for a sticking Variable Timing Control (VTC) solenoid. To check the solenoid, remove it from the front timing cover and power and ground it and verify it moves freely and opens and closes.

If the solenoid operates, then remove the valve cover and verify the timing chain has not jumped and the VTC gear is not stuck in the advanced position. To check the VTC gear, hold the timing chain and turn the intake camshaft with a wrench and verify the VTC gear is in the locked position.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
To be honest, I've heard of chains stretching (due to low oil or whatever) and chains jumping teeth, but I don't know how that's even be possible... Unless you were revving to like 10K on some crazy built drag motor. And like I said, this one is bone stock with 130K on the clock
It's a wear item. This is one of Honda's weak points, many of the Honda's with this similar engine have problems develop around 90-115k. It's just nature of the beast. Diagnose, diagnose, diagnose! Don't replace, that's just parts guessing. With your money at that.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft

Originally Posted by C Ory
+1
More than likely it's the timing chain.

First check for a sticking Variable Timing Control (VTC) solenoid. To check the solenoid, remove it from the front timing cover and power and ground it and verify it moves freely and opens and closes.

If the solenoid operates, then remove the valve cover and verify the timing chain has not jumped and the VTC gear is not stuck in the advanced position. To check the VTC gear, hold the timing chain and turn the intake camshaft with a wrench and verify the VTC gear is in the locked position.
The VTC solenoid was clean and functions perfectly fine. What's this about the VTC gear though?

It's a wear item. This is one of Honda's weak points, many of the Honda's with this similar engine have problems develop around 90-115k. It's just nature of the beast. Diagnose, diagnose, diagnose! Don't replace, that's just parts guessing. With your money at that.
Yeah, I'll probably get to pulling everything back apart and making sure it's perfect on Friday or Saturday... If the chain does need replacement, I might just have my dad take it to a shop because I really don't feel like getting that into it.