Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Looking for an Electric Impact Wrench

Old 05-27-2012 | 10:57 AM
REXsi90
Registered member

REXsi90 has disabled reputation
Default Looking for an Electric Impact Wrench

Hey Forum,

I've been looking for an electric impact wrench. I spoke to a buddy who has one, and he said I should do my research before I buy, make sure I get one that's worth the money. I'm looking for a half-inch drive, and I'm thinking corded would be just as acceptable. If you've had/currently have an impact wrench, could you please let me know whether you like it or not, what's good or bad about it, and suggestions for an affordable and good electric impact wrench? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2012 | 11:37 AM
boostedb1mmer
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer
Default Re: Looking for an Electric Impact Wrench

I use a 19V cordless Dewault at work. It works pretty good. However, Snap-On makes the best shit you can get. Their 1/2 drives have 600+ftlb break away torque
Old 05-27-2012 | 11:51 AM
Garrett93
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Yeah, definitely have my vote for Snap-on. I'm pretty sure Craftsman's are nice and have lifetime warranty.
Old 05-27-2012 | 04:50 PM
white-lightning
Registered Member

white-lightning has disabled reputation

The newest Hot Rod has an article on battery powered 1/2" impacts and the HF ones were rated pretty well.
Old 05-27-2012 | 07:38 PM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by boostedb1mmer
I use a 19V cordless Dewault at work. It works pretty good. However, Snap-On makes the best shit you can get. Their 1/2 drives have 600+ftlb break away torque
I've used a friend's Snap-On and it was awesome.It seemed to have just as much power as my Snap-On 1/2" pneumatic impact.I'd do some research though,as I don't think Snap-On makes any of their own electric stuff.Most of it is manufactured by somebody else and rebranded.If you can figure out who actually makes it you may be able to pay much less under a different brand name.

Originally Posted by white-lightning
The newest Hot Rod has an article on battery powered 1/2" impacts and the HF ones were rated pretty well.
Maybe they've improved,but I've had two 1/2" HF cordless impacts.The first one had the battery catch on fire(!)while it was charging.It never performed well before that anyway.I took it back and they replaced it no problem,but even the new one sucks.The battery doesn't last long and for an example,I have to break lugnuts loose before it'll run them off.I also have one of their cordless drills,and have had the same experience of bad battery life and low torque.
Scott did buy one of the HF corded 1/2" impacts,and he loves it.Of course,if you're using it at home,you might as well get an air powered gun.IMO,the main advantage to a cordless impact is using it out where there's no air or AC power available.
Old 05-27-2012 | 07:42 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Corded is not worthwhile, may as well use pneumatic.

Cordless, look at ones with damn good li-ion batteries. I use DeWalt and am happy with their performance. Took off mower blades and minivan tires with it just yesterday.
Old 05-28-2012 | 08:22 AM
BSeriesTurbo
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

My Snap-on works great, but they are almost 500 bones. They just released a li-ion version that has even more breakaway tq!
Old 05-28-2012 | 08:32 AM
Riff Raff
Eat A Dick

Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff

SNAP-ON

/thread
Old 05-28-2012 | 10:55 AM
boostedb1mmer
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

If you're going to be using it just for around the house then this Am pro impact would probably do the job, they're nowhere near the quality or power of a snap on. They're nowhere near the price either.
http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-anat80251.html

I use Am-Pro pneumatic impacts at work and they're OK. They don't have a as much torque as advertised however, they're rated at ~500ftlbs and they can't break loose connecting rod bolts that are torqued to 400ftlbs. Gotta pull out the old IR Titanium for those bad boys lol
Old 06-11-2012 | 08:21 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

I have a couple of Snap On ones at the shop, and they are bad fucking ass. However....they are about to no longer be the www.motherofallcordlessimpactwrenches.com

Ingersoll has their W7150 that is tested at over 1000 ftlbs of breakaway torque.

I have been on a waiting list for mine for six months now, they are continuing to have distribution problems, but IR has claimed they will be available in late June.

I am excited, I want to put it to the test to see if it does what they claim.