Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

BWM Guru's chime in.....ASC & ABS light on in E36

Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Matt64246
Shift_N/a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt64246 has disabled reputation
Default BWM Guru's chime in.....ASC & ABS light on in E36

Car - 03/1994 E36 325is Coupe M50 USA Left hand drive Manual
Production Code: BF33

First off, yes I have searched and found out that the ASC and ABS do work jointly together. Also found out the issue could be a ABS sensor, faulty ASC connection/plug, or faulty ABS module...

Now these indicator lights are coming on and going off intermittently.....

When doing a visual inpection yesterday of the ASC plug, I did notice this.. some fraying of one the wires for the ASC plug. Could this be my culprit?

Yesterday when I saw that, the ASC and ABS lights were not on. So I decided to unplug the ASC, and start the car to see what would happen, and only the ASC light came on, no ABS.

This morning, I started the car before leaving for work and the ASC & ABS were on....So I decided to cut it off, un plug the ASC and see what happened. well nothing happened, and the indicators were still illuminated.

Just not sure on which direction to take on this........I know that connection needs to be addressed.....,But could it still be an issue with the ABS module or ABS Sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 AM
thenameskam
stupidity, no limits

thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam
Default Re: BWM Guru's chime in.....ASC & ABS light on in E36

Start there, then get back to us. get a new connector, cut that one off behind the frayed wires and solder the new connector to the old wires and tape it off. Sounds like faulty wiring somewhere to me. But if your ASC is unplugged, then thats normal for you ASC light to come on. if the light is coming on while your doing a burn out.. then thats why also. Your ABS light will kick in once you start sliding etc. Do you feel anything weird when the lights kick on?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Matt64246
Shift_N/a

Matt64246 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thenameskam
Start there, then get back to us. get a new connector, cut that one off behind the frayed wires and solder the new connector to the old wires and tape it off. Sounds like faulty wiring somewhere to me. But if your ASC is unplugged, then thats normal for you ASC light to come on. if the light is coming on while your doing a burn out.. then thats why also. Your ABS light will kick in once you start sliding etc. Do you feel anything weird when the lights kick on?
plan on fixing that connection tomorrow, hopefully a local P&P has a few E36s around...

Well I unplugged the ASC yesterday just to see if the ASC indicator light would come on, and it did. It was always plugged in prior to me messing with it yesterday. Both ASC and ABS lights are on now, as in they both stay on when the car is started....some times they go off, sometimes they stay on. If I cut the car off, then cut it back on they will sometimes go out......then come back again. Car still drives normal when there on; I'm just assuming that ASC nor ABS aren't gonna work since those indicators are illuminated...
Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 AM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Do you have access to a factory/shop scanner to try to read the codes?I don't think a standard OBDII/Peake style scanner will pull the ABS codes.
If not,go this route:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=341672
Get the(if any)codes and report back.That connector doesn't look good,but it also doesn't appear to have any broken wires or wires shorted together,so you could have other issues.