Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Bulkhead rear section "FAB"

Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
RE-SPECGARAGE
Danny@respecgarage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE
Default Bulkhead rear section "FAB"

Im trying to find more information in what would be the correct way to build a buklhead to separate the rear and the drivers compartment. it does not need to include a window but it would be nice to have. I will be adding a fuel cell and battery relocation to the rear part of the hatch.

Im thinking something alont the lines of this.

Revolution Rx7
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Kris.Is.Foamin
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default Re: Bulkhead rear section "FAB"

Depends on what the rule books say. I believe you have to be 100% separated if there's fuel back there.

you must design something that you can remove, or get access through.

Also, that car is busy as fuck back there
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
RE-SPECGARAGE
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

that car is a time attack beast. The only thing the rule books state is that a fuel cell has to be seperated 100% from the drivers compartment. Reason why i want to do a bulkhead is to have access to everything in the rear section of the car and keep all hazards away from me. Right now im just trying to gather info on this. I havent read thru the NASA rule book yet on this topic.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Yep4doors
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

The only thing I could possibly think about doing this is meet the requirements to what regulation you're driving in. I'm sure the way you set it up doesn't matter as long as you meet code.

The bulkhead in the revolution rx7 is center biased so it gives the car a better center of gravity, I would think building everything over the rear axle would help balance for drifting better. I read a big article about the revolution rx7 somewhere ill see if I can't dig it up for you.

Edit:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2311/garage-revolutions-time-attack-fd3s-rx-7-part-1.aspx

You may have already read this but I thought it was a good write up about the car

Last edited by Yep4doors; 12-07-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check the rules and see how complete the bulkhead has to be and what materials are acceptable if fire protection is necessary, etc., and this will likely tell you if a window can be added and what window materials are acceptable too.

If you can, it would be nice to attach mount points to the body and then make the bulkhead mount to those points, instead of having to make the bulkhead into a structural member or worry about what happens when the body twists. If you just take a piece of light gauge sheet metal and fold the edges and weld it to the body in a whole bunch of places, bad things will happen and you'll likely end up with a wrinkly piece of metal.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Yep4doors
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Check the rules and see how complete the bulkhead has to be and what materials are acceptable if fire protection is necessary, etc., and this will likely tell you if a window can be added and what window materials are acceptable too.

If you can, it would be nice to attach mount points to the body and then make the bulkhead mount to those points, instead of having to make the bulkhead into a structural member or worry about what happens when the body twists. If you just take a piece of light gauge sheet metal and fold the edges and weld it to the body in a whole bunch of places, bad things will happen and you'll likely end up with a wrinkly piece of metal.
This.

Although I didn't think about the integrity of the metal warping