Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

JDM HiD questions

Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM
phravaldad
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phravaldad has disabled reputation
Default Re: JDM HiD questions

@ Mirrorimg i have swapped the bulbs out before with a brand new set that i bought a while back and the brand new bulb behaved the same way when i did it. But that was when the first ballast started giving me problems back in the summer. i should probably do it again though, i'm not sure how old the bulbs are that are in the car. Thanks for the suggestion.

@ DonkeyPunch i will do that when i pull out the bulbs. i do hope that it's not the ballast though, i just got that one and it took me months to find it. Thanks.

Also, would it hurt to put any dielectric grease on the bulb plug? i'm just asking as a curiosity, trying to think of anything that might help.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Mirrorimg
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

That will help prevent corrosion, but wont miraculously fix the issue you are having now.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:33 PM
phravaldad
Registered Member

Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
phravaldad
Registered Member

Quick question...Is it true that you're not supposed to have your HID's on if the car isn't running? Someone told me that recently and said it was what he'd been told, because of the power they pull or something. Not that i do it, but there have been times that i'll turn the car off and forget to turn the lights off first or something of that nature. I would just like to know the actual reason for this and what kind of damage it could do. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by phravaldad
Quick question...Is it true that you're not supposed to have your HID's on if the car isn't running? Someone told me that recently and said it was what he'd been told, because of the power they pull or something. Not that i do it, but there have been times that i'll turn the car off and forget to turn the lights off first or something of that nature. I would just like to know the actual reason for this and what kind of damage it could do. Thanks.
The only thing you'll do is drain the battery, just like all headlights. Headlights that can't/shouldn't be used without the engine running aren't very useful.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 AM
phravaldad
Registered Member

Thanks. it sounded a little sketchy to me, but i figured that it couldn't hurt to ask. i've heard stranger things that ended up being true.