Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 AM
4drgsr
BOOBS>EVERTHING!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4drgsr 4drgsr
Default Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

Originally Posted by NoRider
YA but Motorex didn't release what mods had to be done so the public can't do shit!
motorex didn't crash them period. the nhtsa did,right here in virginia,the argument has come and gone 50 times, the only skylines that can be legally registered in the us ,are the gts-t r33 and the r33 gt-r. thats it,no exceptions to the rule,go to nhtsa.org,read and learn moron. nvm,i'll do it for you.

I. Importing a Nissan Skyline.

The Nissan Skyline was not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle that is less than 25 years old can only be lawfully imported into the U.S. if (1) it is determined eligible for importation by NHTSA and (2) it is imported by an RI or by a person who has a contract with an RI to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable FMVSS within 120 days of entry.

Import eligibility decisions are made on a make, model, and model year basis. NHTSA has determined that the R33 Model Nissan GTS and GTR ("Skyline") passenger cars manufactured between January 1, 1996 and June 30, 1998 are eligible for importation and has assigned vehicle eligibility number VCP-32 to those vehicles. (The import eligibility number is to be entered on the HS-7 Declaration form that is to be given to Customs at the time of entry, and alerts Customs that the vehicle may be lawfully imported by an RI or by a person who has a contract with an RI, even though the vehicle is not certified by its manufacturer as complying with all applicable FMVSS.)

To learn the modifications the petitioner stated were needed to conform Nissan Skyline vehicles to the FMVSS, you should go to the DOT Docket website at http://dms.dot.gov and enter docket number 5507 in the appropriate block on the simple search screen. You should note that the petition sought import eligibility for 1990-1999 Nissan GTS and GTR "Skyline" passenger cars. After granting the petition, the agency learned that the modifications identified in the petition were not sufficient to conform certain model and model year vehicles that were covered by the petition. The agency therefore partially rescinded its grant of eligibility, leaving only R33 model Nissan GTS and GTR passenger cars manufactured between January 1, 1996 and June 30, 1998 eligible for importation.

A list of RIs can be found on our website at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should consult the importers on that list to see whether any are willing to conform the vehicle that you seek to import to all applicable safety and bumper standards, and if so, what they would charge for that work.

If you decide to import the vehicle, one potential complicating factor is that the RI who petitioned NHTSA to determine the Nissan Skyline eligible for importation requested, and was granted, confidentiality with respect to the modifications needed to conform to the vehicle to certain of the standards. As a consequence, that importer (J.K. Technologies, LLC of Baltimore, Maryland) has claimed a proprietary interest in the modifications covered by the confidentiality grant. This does not preclude other RIs from attempting to modify the vehicle. However, should those importers not gain access to the modifications covered by the grant confidentiality, they will have to demonstrate to the agency, at the time they submit a conformity certification package for a Skyline, that they have made equivalent modifications that permit the vehicle to comply with the standards covered by the confidentiality grant.

Please note that we determined the vehicle eligible for importation based on its capability of being modified to comply with all applicable standards. We did not approve J.K. Technologies, LLC as the "exclusive" importer of the vehicle. As previously indicated, any other RI is free to import the vehicle, but will have to demonstrate in the conformity package submitted to the agency to obtain release of the conformance bond furnished at the time of importation that the vehicle has been brought into conformity with all applicable standards, including those covered by the grant of confidentiality to J.K. Technologies, LLC.

You should note that if you were to import the vehicle, the necessary modifications would have to be made by an RI, and that importer would have to certify to us that the vehicle conforms to all applicable FMVSS in effect on its date of manufacture before the vehicle could be released to be licensed or registered for on-road use. One of the reasons that an RI is required to import and modify a vehicle that was not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS is because the RI stands in the stead of the vehicle’s original manufacturer to provide the vehicle’s owner with notification and remedy in the event that the vehicle is determined to contain a safety-related defect or a noncompliance with an applicable safety standard. Because the original manufacturer would not be responsible for the vehicle being in the U.S., it would have no legal obligation to perform this import safety responsibility.

Questions regarding modifications to conform the vehicle to applicable emissions standards should be directed to the EPA.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 AM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

I believe there are two options for classic tags and how you can drive them...

Edit: Don't know how you couldn't find it on the site. Took me two seconds, I put "classic" in the search field.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...es/antique.asp
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM
sidewaysfox
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harold_Fastwake
Yes it should. Car was never sold here and never crash tested here. Therefore, they don't want you having it. Its not that hard to understand. Just go buy an accord and do a conversion on it.
what do an accord and an R32 have in common?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 PM
runnin9z
Registered Member

runnin9z has disabled reputation

From what i have learned about the skyline importation thing is that you are screwed. I talked to a couple that owned a r33 that got imported by motorx, From what they told me the us government will not allow any more skylines to be imported into the united states for the intention to drive them on public roads. The only way to get one is to buy one that is already in the country and is granfatherd by motorx.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Nismo804
Registered Member

Nismo804 has disabled reputation

Importing an R33 shouldn't be a problem. There are a few in the states which should prove as a testament to that. If it hasn't been addressed yet, MotoRex has been shut down due to its owner Kan Takashi being jailed for fraud and a whole laundry list of naughty things business owners shouldn't do. JGY customs has a 4 door R32 that's one of their shop cars, so I would contact them and they probably could give the best info on importing, etc. They're in the southwestern part of Virginia which is another plus. IMHO, I would search for an R32, they were undefeated in Group A racing in Japan during the early nineties (look up the Calsonic R32), the R32 is the lightest of the bunch and most well balanced. Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring! and Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Frenchy1
Registered Member

Frenchy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Parking laws for antique plates

Originally Posted by Flinch
You can drive it to exercise it, or atleast I could when I had antique tags about 4 years ago.
I simply want to know if there are restrictions as to parking antique plates on public streets and if so where is this written in the Va. laws.