Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Inspection Waiver after VW Discontinued SRS Part.?

Old 06-27-2022, 07:22 AM
ane1212
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ane1212 is on a distinguished road
Default Inspection Waiver after VW Discontinued SRS Part.?

I have a 2006 VW Jetta that suffers from airbag issues that are common for VWs manufactured around that time. I've replaced the faulty wiring harness and fixed the issue in the past but now that I have to bring the car in for an inspection, of course, the harness needs to be replaced again. Unfortunately, VW stopped making the harness last year and, because this issue is so common, they sold out quickly and are no longer available anywhere. As a result, the car won't pass the required safety inspection as the Airbag light will not go out without replacing the unavailable part. Other than the airbag light, the car is in fine shape.

Is there a workaround for this? Either mechanically (removing lights) or procedurally (applying for a waiver)?

Obviously, I'd prefer to fix the issue but since that isn't an option, I'm trying to avoid purchasing a new vehicle over the availability of a $150 part. It seems logical that VA would have some kind of process for this situation but I haven't had any luck finding anything.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 09-27-2023, 09:06 PM
JavierStokes
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JavierStokes is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am new here, can I ask a question?