Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Radar detector ban in Virginia.. to end?

Old 02-04-2010 | 12:08 PM
mdeserteagle45
piss'd n miss'd

mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45
Default Re: Radar detector ban in Virginia.. to end?

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
LOL @ this...

Yes... because the trooper running right up to a pack of speeders and turning on the radar out of nowhere prooves that the general phenomena of people slowing down in congested/monitored areas is bunk Furthermore, one instance of crash provoked by the officer means that everyone is going to spontaneously wreck when the detector goes off!
Originally Posted by marlinspike
It also shows you how correct that trooper's ticketing priorities are. Heaven forbid he should cite people who follow too closely, i.e. doing something that is dangerous regardless of speed.
+1 to the both of you.....
Old 02-04-2010 | 12:22 PM
Drake69
Out of mind, BRB....

Drake69 has disabled reputation
Re: Radar detector ban in Virginia.. to end?

Not like it'll get anywhere, but it's a nice wish to come true.
Old 02-04-2010 | 12:23 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Drake69
Not like it'll get anywhere, but it's a nice wish to come true.
It made it out of committee by the skin of its teeth, something it has never done before AFAIK. If you support it, don't just sit on your hands and complain about how it won't pass, write your delegate.

To those of you who don't think writing your delegate does anything, I know of an anti-gun delegate who voted to repeal the concealed carry in a restaurant ban last time around, when his anti-gun staffer who is a friend of mine asked him why his response was "look at how many more letters we got for than against. If they want it that badly, I'm not going to stop them."
Old 02-04-2010 | 12:36 PM
ShawnD
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I still wouldn't buy one
Old 02-04-2010 | 12:59 PM
Drake69
Out of mind, BRB....

Drake69 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by marlinspike
It made it out of committee by the skin of its teeth, something it has never done before AFAIK. If you support it, don't just sit on your hands and complain about how it won't pass, write your delegate.

To those of you who don't think writing your delegate does anything, I know of an anti-gun delegate who voted to repeal the concealed carry in a restaurant ban last time around, when his anti-gun staffer who is a friend of mine asked him why his response was "look at how many more letters we got for than against. If they want it that badly, I'm not going to stop them."
Good point. Guess I need to start writing then.
Old 02-04-2010 | 01:25 PM
rtcarlin
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

This communist state is the only one that I have to take my radar down in on my frequent trips down to Houston..... I say let us have them... VA's highways are no safer than anyone else's because of the law....
Old 02-04-2010 | 02:49 PM
Chris28
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

Is it really that difficult to maintain the speed limit? I drove for about a year without a speedometer and never got a ticket, I just stayed with the flow of traffic. The only time I see one being useful is if you don't know the speed limit of the road or you just aren't paying attention, the latter of which should never happen.

I don't see the point of them, obey the posted speed limit and you should never have a problem.
Old 02-04-2010 | 02:57 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Chris28
Is it really that difficult to maintain the speed limit? I drove for about a year without a speedometer and never got a ticket, I just stayed with the flow of traffic. The only time I see one being useful is if you don't know the speed limit of the road or you just aren't paying attention, the latter of which should never happen.

I don't see the point of them, obey the posted speed limit and you should never have a problem.
It's about rights. The government is sending an unencrypted radio signal through my property, and I'm not allowed to receive it?
Old 02-04-2010 | 02:58 PM
rtcarlin
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

they come in real handy when you're going through towns like Emporia and those speedtraps...

Seriously though... what's with all the radar-hating? Regardless of whether or not you will buy one..... what's the argument for maintaining the ban? As I said earlier, there's no evidence that VA highways are any safer because of it....
Old 02-04-2010 | 02:59 PM
phyber
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

I agree with the fact that radar detectors do nothing but encourage speeding. knowing you have a brand new product that will detect cops in the miles ahead will only lead you to try and test the clock on how fast you can get to your destination.

it's not hard to understand that the speedlimit on highways is 65, 4 lane highways are 55, rural roads are 40, neighborhoods are 25.

Quick Reply: Radar detector ban in Virginia.. to end?