Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

crazy person situation....what would you do?

Old 08-04-2009 | 05:05 AM
basketthis69
All stock. No modify

basketthis69 has disabled reputation
Default Re: crazy person situation....what would you do?

Originally Posted by J0NG
Join the club.
Unfortunately, we're of a dying breed.
haha. I seem to have more honest people than duechebag ripoffs, but for sure it's a dying breed... :shrug:
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:26 AM
98formulaLS1
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by QuickSilverWR
i did check it out. i will admit though, i didnt take the jet pump completely out of the ski to see the internals at the time of sell. my bad. next time i will completely disassemble the entire ski to make sure everything is in tact.

however when i sell things, i usually sell them in good shape or knowing that everything works.
there are risks involved with buying and selling used goods without warrentys. Please don't try and make excuses. He probably would have given you every opportunity to have it checked out if you asked him too. i'm sure you could have brought it to some boat/ski shop and ask them to inspect for probably less than $30.

I buy and sell tons of car on a weekly basis, so I know and understand the risks. I don't get butthurt if sometimes I get a bad deal. I just learn more to look closer at what I'm buying.

There is also a reason why I only accept cash and no checks or credit cards, because sometimes, the buyers find out that something might not be as it looks. Even though it's news to me and news to them, they still think that the seller is 100% aware of the EXACT condition of the vehicle, but this is not the case.

For example, I recently sold a motorcycle that I drove everyday, ran great, didn't have any problems. Well once I sold it, I saw it on CL listed with a bad clutch, needs gas tank, etc and needs TONS of work. I was not aware that it needed any work, as I rode it daily with no signs of problems. I don't feel bad one bit that I sold it for $2000 and now he's selling it for $500. I gave him every opportunity to have it checked out, but he opted to use his own mechanic skills to give it a good look-over.

Here's the bottom line. It's sold "As-Is" and you need to realize the what that means. Once you pay for it, it's now your responsibility. I don't want to hear you crying on here about it.

Yes, it was wrong for him to send over a recovery service for something that you own. I would contact a VA Beach precinct and tell them that someone has sent a recovery company to repossess a jet ski that is titled in your name with no liens.

btw, how much did you originally make the check out for? and how much cash was actually paid for this ski? whats the year make model?
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:27 AM
QuickSilverWR
Registered Member

QuickSilverWR has disabled reputation

^^ how? when i paid him cash he agreed to the amount at the time. but now he changed his mind and wants more? furthermore his name wasnt on the title at all nor did he give me a bill of sale. i had to go through Richmond to get it titled in my name which was a huge pain also!
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:32 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Um, so he's saying he's going to take you to the cops under the bad check statute? That's wouldn't really apply here (I presume you got verbal agreement from him before canceling the check? You have some record that you did in fact give him that second set of money for it?

As far as whether you should have eaten the cost or not, it all depends. Was this an as-is sale? Were there representations made as to its condition that turned out to be false? At any rate, he could have taken it back in the first place. I'd maybe tell him you'll give him a bit more (let's say what you originally paid minus one-half the cost of repair) and leave it there. I don't see why you'd really have to, but if it gets him off your back isn't it worth it?

Last edited by marlinspike; 08-04-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:35 AM
Fried_Chicken
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

^^ how? when i paid him cash he agreed to the amount at the time. but now he changed his mind and wants more? furthermore his name wasnt on the title at all nor did he give me a bill of sale. i had to go through Richmond to get it titled in my name which was a huge pain also!
if it was never titled in his name prior to you titling it, i would assume he'd have a hard time getting any more money out of you. Especially considering a bill of sale was never written. i would contact the police about the illegitimate recovery svc though. that's definitely one way to get my blood boiling
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:38 AM
98formulaLS1
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

yeah, i will say it again, I would contact the authorities and inform them that a person is trying to repossess your vehicle and you are the full, and outright owner. They might be able to help.
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:46 AM
QuickSilverWR
Registered Member

QuickSilverWR has disabled reputation

i mean i am pretty easy going. if he had spoken to me about it and not sent some weirdo to my house at 1:30 am, then fine. however i am not even sure he had it legally himself because of his new actions!

anyways, i just got back from the police station....they have it in their systems. thanks for the advice all
Old 08-04-2009 | 05:50 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Ever hear of buyer beware? You owe him the full price. Now he's a moron for accepting anything other than cash or a certified bank check. Plus if he never had it titled then he's screwed himself.

You you technically agreed to pay a price as is... it's your fault for not thoroughly checking the ski over.
Old 08-04-2009 | 06:13 AM
Fried_Chicken
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Ever hear of buyer beware? You owe him the full price. Now he's a moron for accepting anything other than cash or a certified bank check. Plus if he never had it titled then he's screwed himself.

You you technically agreed to pay a price as is... it's your fault for not thoroughly checking the ski over.
true, but not true anymore, considering the circumstances. the vehicle in question is titled with no bill of sale.

at this point, not a penny more is "legally" owed to the seller
Old 08-04-2009 | 06:52 AM
basketthis69
All stock. No modify

basketthis69 has disabled reputation

i mean i am pretty easy going. if he had spoken to me about it and not sent some weirdo to my house at 1:30 am, then fine. however i am not even sure he had it legally himself because of his new actions!

anyways, i just got back from the police station....they have it in their systems. thanks for the advice all
easy going? pffft...

Nah. J/K. Only met him ^^^ for a couple of minutes and our deal didn't go sour nor did he sell me jacked up merchandise etc... However I am stuck with 3 games I don't like.... Anyone want ps3 games?

Quick Reply: crazy person situation....what would you do?