Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Abandoned car??

Old 07-22-2003 | 10:39 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Repair shops can make mechanics liens on stuff that has been worked on but not payed for within a certain time period. Not sure if rental stuff works the same.
Old 07-22-2003 | 10:41 AM
Not_Blazin
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

the car's been in my driveway since May. The owner, who's name isn't on the title, has been gone since the end of June. And i doubt that he'll come back, cuz he owes money.
Old 07-22-2003 | 10:49 AM
rhman15
Registered Member

rhman15 is an unknown quantity at this point

What kind of car is it btw?
Old 07-22-2003 | 10:52 AM
Not_Blazin
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

91 Civic HB
Old 07-22-2003 | 01:27 PM
Bert
hybrid no more :(

Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert

i work for a storage company and people that don't pay their bill get auctioned off...if it is a car that is in their storage unit we must go through the DMV for a storage/mechanic's lein(essentially the same)...you must fill out that form and turn it in...the DMV will then try to contact the owner to tell them what is going on and if (i believe 30 days) go by and the owner doesn't get a hold of the dmv before the time period is up then the dmv will issue a title in your name...you also have to worry about leins on the car....if there are any leins then you must go through the leinholder as well....and don't take my word...im not the dmv....contact them if you want the exact details...
Old 07-22-2003 | 01:56 PM
stockkiagurl
<3 My Shrek<3

stockkiagurl is an unknown quantity at this point

did u have a lease or written agreement that his name is on? if so i believe it works same way as storage/mechanical leins etc....if nothign in writing then i am not sure...
Old 07-22-2003 | 02:11 PM
Bert
hybrid no more :(

Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert

sometimes you don't need anything in writing...we have customers all the time that don't sign the lease or any paperwork...just as long as they have made a payment there is proof of a contract there....you could say that we had an agreement that we split the rent and since he didn't pay his end i'm taking possesion of his car to make up the difference (sell the car)....you would need any way that he gave you money...via bank statement showing you depositing his check for rent...or the rent lease...but i would think this would make it more complex and then you would definatly need a lawyer at this point...i still say consult dmv first and get exact details of what you need...