Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Steering Head Bearing ?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:55 PM
octane
Free Time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane
Default Re: Steering Head Bearing ?

Seems I'm SOL. Even though the 30x47x12 is listed at several bearing distributor websites, it seems that size is no longer available. Looks like I'm going to have to take a mil out of the headstock. Do you have a cutter at the shop or am I calling my machinist buddies?!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

talk to jeff at dreamworks, he had a machinist near his shop mill his stem, he'd probably be able to open up the neck a lil bit to fit that bearing.

i don't have anything at the shop that will cut that clean and center.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 AM
octane
Free Time

Ok, thanks. I have a few machine shops advertising in the magazine, I'm sure one of them can cut the neck on center.

BTW, I got that Yosh header. It's gonna be TIGHT, but I think it's going to clear the frame down tubes. It's a nice piece too, crossover tubes and everything. I got the full system with the TRS can, but I'll probably end up selling the can and mid-pipe and bolting one of those new Hindle megaphones on there.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:19 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

hmmm. see, if you had TWO of those cans, i'd pick them up, i was thinking of running cut down trs's on my xs... that bike's just stupid loud as it is right now.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 AM
octane
Free Time

Check out JC Motorcycle Exhausts on ebaymotors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4611177292

Good prices on most of their stuff. I got the full Yosh system from them for a hundred bucks more than I could find just a header for this motor anyplace else. I'm gonna hang onto this pipe until the bike is together, just in case I end up using it, but I think it will probably go in the 'someday' bike parts pile or maybe sold on ebay...who knows.

BTW, I emailed probably 50 bearing companies about that bearing. Everyone says it's a non standard size...but I can have them made in China for only 95 cents a piece. But minimum order is 5,000 pieces!! LOL! Looks like I'll be cutting the neck.

I also talked to World Wide Bearing in New Jersey and the guy there says he had a guy in the shop recently doing the exact same swap. What are the odds of that? He says that guy is going with a custom stem. I think I'm gonna go with the larger bearing.