Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lifted Cars w/off road tires

Old 12-14-2014 | 02:41 AM
Yardjass
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: Lifted Cars w/off road tires

OP, if you're going to do this stupid shit, you may as well do it right. I'm not an expert by any means but I do know most lift kits for chevy donks rely heavily on S10 axles and suspension parts. You can probably get most of what you need by doing a little research and taking a trip to a junkyard rather than buying the same thing packaged together as a "kit" for a marked up cost.

Don't be one of those morons who puts huge wheels/tires on a car and does nothing to upgrade the brakes.

If you're going on sand with a RWD car, you also need to look into tires. Your rear tires will not, and should not, be the same as your fronts.
Old 12-14-2014 | 03:43 AM
SMOKEYBEAR
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

I'm gonna go against the masses on this one, done right to the right car it is something that peaks my interest. The first car and the last one in the autoblog link are well built cars. The 70 Olds is absolutely badass. Those two are far ahead of a lifted caprice with 31's. An old AMC two door Eagle would be a good one, maybe the wagon version, they were 4wd and some came with a 304 V8.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 12-14-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2014 | 08:06 PM
ej1995
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Originally Posted by Killbot
Technically "rediculous" isn't a reasonable word to describe anything, because it isn't a word. Since you're against impracticality and wastefulness I assume you won't be putting truck tires on your goddamn Prius any time soon.

Impracticality is in the soul of motorsports, man.

I agree that it's stupid, but thats kind of the point. If you don't dig it, you don't dig it.
Thanks for pointing out my typo bud, glad to see you have your spell checker on. No truck tires on my car and I'll certainly have no piece of shit Prius.

I believe you are missing my point. If you want an offroad machine, build a capable offroad machine, a car with big tires isnt capable of doing anything offroad that you couldn't do in a vehicle designed/built to do so. Thats like buying a 4x4 truck and then putting 32" wheels on it. You can't use it in the snow or offroad, so why buy a 4x4 to start with. You see where I'm going with that...
Old 03-06-2015 | 01:18 PM
Big Sexy
liquor&cheeseburgers

Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy

I want to find a car to put some big tires on... I don't mean monster truck style, but like 31x10.50's or so for a general sort of Mad Max/Road Warrior vibe. I know they make lift kits pretty commonly for donks. So I thought maybe a 77-90 Caprice would make a good choice. I also assume that if they can handle the weight of 26" rims they could also handle a large flotation tire. Is there anything technical that I'm overlooking that would prevent me from doing this? I assume I'd have do make a few trims and cuts like almost any vehicle you put a larger tire on. Any other model suggestions ?

here's the neighborhood I'm wanting to live in:

This thing is fucking cool
Old 03-10-2015 | 07:01 AM
Riff Raff
Eat A Dick

Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff

Looks like the folks at FourWheeler are as stupid as I am: http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...ia-trophy-ltd/
Uhhhh that sir is a borderline "Trophy Truck" and 4x4 LOL, you have no intention of doing nearly as much work or even half the quality. Please log off
Old 03-13-2015 | 09:42 AM
YOTARIP
1UZ Inside

YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP

Since the PO had to ask, this is robably the best example the he is capable of doing.

These cars are a dime a dozen. Grab a crusty but running one for $700 and go at it.
Old 03-18-2015 | 06:22 AM
Somalia
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia

Originally Posted by YOTARIP
Since the PO had to ask, this is robably the best example the he is capable of doing.

These cars are a dime a dozen. Grab a crusty but running one for $700 and go at it.
I was watching some desert racing shit in Mexico yesterday and saw some sick cars setup similar to this.
If done right it can be sick.
But OP if you don't live somewhere that you can actually use the car for what its setup for what's the point??
Old 03-21-2015 | 05:48 PM
NickVB
Registered member

NickVB has disabled reputation

V70 cross country, or 90s subaru. Look kinda cool lifted on 29/31 bfg all terrains
Old 03-23-2015 | 04:19 AM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

No sense in adding bigger tires for an "offroad" machine if it doesn't have 4wd.

Best way to do it with little fab skills, take an old truck/SUV. Remove the body. Find a car body that is about the same length as the frame and bolt body to the frame.

It won't be easy. I hope you can at least cut metal and weld it back together. You may have to shorten the frame. Design body mounts and figure out all the conenctions going into the car.

You can take any car with a solid frame, make a suspension lift and weld a front axle in it, switching the trans over to a 4wd and adding a tcase. I would probably go the SUV right and find a good body to put on it.

If you are just wanting to lift a car to put tires on it for that "look"................you dum
Old 03-23-2015 | 06:20 AM
Scotty_Nooo
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

So a few years back, 08' - 09' a buddy had a foxbody w/ a rusted out frame and a explorer with a blown motor and a messed up body from off roading. Long story short, the body from the mustang fit on the explorer frame w/ little modification and since the explorer had a 302 the mustang motor fit right in. If i can find pictures I'll post them but I thought it was pretty bad ass simply because you don't see a foxbody on a 6" lift rolling around on 35's too often

Quick Reply: Lifted Cars w/off road tires