Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

To the black WRX STI in the Ironto area..

Old 09-09-2006, 04:26 PM
css1129
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
css1129 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To the black WRX STI in the Ironto area..

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
I realize that... and like I said, if you're breaking the law, you have to face the consequences. I do, however, think it's pretty unfortunate that the speeding regulations are as stiff as they are. I spent a weekend in jail for a mistake I made on my last motorcycle--speeding. While in court, two separate people walked away pretty much clean and clear from DUI's--and I'm the only one paying for my mistake. They'll just do it again. They don't take drinking and driving seriously enough!

I'm just saying in many cases I think there should be more of a cushion for speeding. You made the point for me when you said "If we wanted to we could probably ticket almost every other car we see driving." - EXACTLY. I'd like to go on a ride along sometime and watch a speed trap in action. I'd be willing to bet that maybe 1 out of 20 cars that go by are doing within 2-3 mph of the speed limit. Most probably typically travel around 9-10 mph of the speed limit, and I think the police usually go after the majority that do 10+ in excess to the limit.

Dont get me wrong...Im an mp and I think the speeding consequences are rediculess(?) out here. Its not as bad in every state.

Illinois doesnt have the 20 over is automaticly reckess bullshit...nor the anything over 80 is reckless. I have a pretty hefty speeding ticket comming up in the end of the month...and I heard people go to jail for speeding around here. WTF? Ive never heard of that till I moved here. On the highways in illinois the speed limits are 55....but most people are doing over 80 when there isnt traffic. Here thats reckless and I think its bullshit. They need to re-evaluate the speed limits and laws.
So apparently its more dangerous for me to go....lets say 85mph but a tractor trailor can do 79 and its less dangerous than a car that was designed for high speed?

I may work one side of the law....but I see how fucked up it is too. When I bought my car in MD for 14,500 and tried to register it in VA they wanted like $2,000 in property taxes. I was like are you kidding? I drove home with no tags and registered it in Illinois for like $130 or something like that.

Va is a shitty state when it comes to Govt over people.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
myclone
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by css1129
No they dont.
Depends on the state but generally speaking thats correct. WV used require plain sight (thats tough to prove though) in the day time and minimum of clearnance/running lights on at night. Its changed in the last ~10yrs and pretty much matches what VA says is ok for cops to do.

Writing tickets is also a huge revenue generator. While I dont have an opinion one way or the other on the supposed ticket "quotas" lets face it....if it was 100% about keeping JQ Public safe traffic would stay in grid lock 24/7 since there'd be 3 cops for every 1 person on the road and even going 1mph over would get you stopped in a matter of minutes.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:03 PM
98coupe
Registered Member

98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts

I remember everyone used to flash their lights if they saw a cop doing radar on the side of the road. Now I really never see people doing it. I try to do it everytime I see one on the side. I hate getting tickets for only going a few miles over the limit, esp. on 81.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:05 PM
css1129
Banned

css1129 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a lot of places that would be better off with 3 cops per civillian, but in real life cities can not afford that, and courts would be way to clogged and most of the tickets tossed anywho.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:45 PM
myclone
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by css1129
I know a lot of places that would be better off with 3 cops per civillian, but in real life cities can not afford that, and courts would be way to clogged and most of the tickets tossed anywho.
I agree with you on that../\

Im assuming youre a cop and you know how it all works... In all honesty I deserved the tickets Ive gotten over the years so I just pay the man and go on my merry way. Only probs Ive ever had were roanoke county but those are rants for another day. None the less Ive gotten away with way more than Ive ever gotten caught so for the time being Im ahead of the game (yes I know...my number will come up sooner or later).

As a matter of fact the wife and I went on a trip to Louiville(sp?), KY earlier in the week and I ran 82-ish mph once I got past wythville going west and passed two or three states sitting in the median. None of em came after me so maybe I just look innocent but I backed it down to 5-7mph over once I hit wythville on the way back since Im well aware of the enforcement thats happening on 81.

If stupid ppl would quit wrecking themselves and into other ppl on 81 so it would stay out of the news things might lighten up a bit as far as speed limits on 81 but since 81 seems to be populated by cabbage heads that'll never happen.

Damn...I need to lay off the coffee. I typed way more than anyone wants to read
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by myclone
Damn...I need to lay off the coffee. I typed way more than anyone wants to read

Let me just make you aware of the fact that I truly have nothing better to do.

I'm about to go out riding but I'm afraid I'm going to get on the bike and have bubble guts and have to rush back home.. lol... so please, keep writing, and give me something to read while I let a few minutes pass by.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:17 PM
AMDxp2000
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Let me just make you aware of the fact that I truly have nothing better to do.

I'm about to go out riding but I'm afraid I'm going to get on the bike and have bubble guts and have to rush back home.. lol... so please, keep writing, and give me something to read while I let a few minutes pass by.
What did you eat................so i can avoid it
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM
YeloBlitzEclips
Rice -4- Life

YeloBlitzEclips is on a distinguished road

I doubt the driver is on here, but I figured maybe it was a VT student or something that someone might know...

THANK YOU for flashing your lights! My buddy and I were stopped at that truck stop after riding for a few hours and just getting a cold drink and a break for a few minutes... Saw that sheriff checking out the bikes as he creeped through the parking lot, then he stopped behind our bikes while we were inside. I assume he took off to go back down that road and sit there to wait for us, assuming we'd go flying by. We weren't riding fast today--it was a relaxed ride.. but it's easy to take that corner beyond the posted speed limit, so THANK YOU if you're out there! If he really went back and sat there just in hopes of nailing us, that's pretty shitty. We weren't out causing any trouble or riding fast.

BTW, what's up with the majority of drivers these days? I remember when I was younger, I'd be riding with my parents in the car and people would always extend the courtesy of flashing their lights to warn of a speed trap ahead, and the oncoming driver would acknowledge in appreciation.. now when I flash my lights at people, it looks like they're pissed off at me wondering what the fuck I'm flashing my lights at them for. I hate that! Trying to help you, and you're pissed? I thought everyone knew what that meant..... but it seems like about 1 out of 10 drivers understand the concept.
Probably my friend in the black STI. he was going out towards i-81 and he's the type to always flash his lights for speed traps. i'll ask him next time.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by YeloBlitzEclips
Probably my friend in the black STI. he was going out towards i-81 and he's the type to always flash his lights for speed traps. i'll ask him next time.

If it was, be sure to tell him I said "THANK YOU!!!!" if for no other reason than just being a courteous driver. Sounds like it could have been your friend though, because that's definitely the direction the car was headed.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
96greenmachine
Registered Member

96greenmachine has disabled reputation

Maybe there are fewer drivers now who will flash their lights warning of a speed trap because if you are caught warning other drivers in this manner you can be ticketed for it. I'm almost positive this was a law put into place many years ago. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Quick Reply: To the black WRX STI in the Ironto area..