Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Who is pro at valve tap causes?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
BigandSlow
Works on MBs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigandSlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who is pro at valve tap causes?

Just wondering what motor you have? (M116, M117)?

Just assuming its something older since it's been at least 20 years since MB has produced a two valve V8.

Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out but I do have access to Netstar and WIS and can check on DTBs and Service Bulletins if you'd like. Also if you need info on specific procedures or special tools let me know I'll try and help.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by BigandSlow
Just wondering what motor you have? (M116, M117)?

Just assuming its something older since it's been at least 20 years since MB has produced a two valve V8.

Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out but I do have access to Netstar and WIS and can check on DTBs and Service Bulletins if you'd like. Also if you need info on specific procedures or special tools let me know I'll try and help.
I realize this is an old thread, but it's an M117 5.6 (with 10:1 pistons, lumpy cams, some headwork, tri-y headers...), but running the CIS and gen 1 ignition (car started life as a 380SE). I didn't want to leave your question un-answered.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

just saying...

BigandSlow
Works on MBs

Send Message User Lists Last Activity: 07-28-2009 09:26 PM
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by nftuatn
just saying...

BigandSlow
Works on MBs

Send Message User Lists Last Activity: 07-28-2009 09:26 PM
ha, good call. Still, let it never be said that I let a question go unanswered.

I still have to get my car down to you...but there's a lot of warranty work i want done on my paint job first (crazing is beginning to show through from the underside on the roof and trunklid...somebody f'ed up)

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

when it was at harmons or before it was painted??

who did it the first time?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Originally Posted by nftuatn
when it was at harmons or before it was painted??

who did it the first time?
From the first time - Import Paint and Body, in Charlotte, NC - a place recommended to me by every exotic car dealership in NC (including one used exotic dealer who recommended somewhere else, then said "oh, sure, if you have that kind of money go to them because they're the best")

There seems to be a theme with this car and my not being able to win when it comes to cosmetics (for instance, I have ordered the 2 final pieces of chrome I need twice now...both times they arrived damaged...there's a third final piece I need, but that piece is no longer available, and the piece on my car has a bend in it so it's not fit for reanodizing...the only such piece on my car would of course be the only one no longer available).

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-13-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM
civickid03
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation

i am a certified mb tech, i have replaced the hydraulic compensators many times on ur engine

sohc v8 = m113 engine

Common problem on mercedes, sometimes the tapping noise is also from the chain tensioner but on a car with such low miles i doubt it - they normally go bad after a few hundred thousand

check the oil level, an m113 takes about 7.9quarts by the book but i always put in about 8.3

unscrew the oil filter and check the seals on the oil filter thing that the filter goes on...if any are missing it will fuck up oil pressure. if oil levels are good (assuming ur model comes w/ a dipstick) put some MOA in there and drive the piss out of it. normally the valve tapping will go away. if not bring it in under warranty and replace. if its not under warranty i would be happy to do it for you =)
Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Originally Posted by civickid03
i am a certified mb tech, i have replaced the hydraulic compensators many times on ur engine

sohc v8 = m113 engine

Common problem on mercedes, sometimes the tapping noise is also from the chain tensioner but on a car with such low miles i doubt it - they normally go bad after a few hundred thousand

check the oil level, an m113 takes about 7.9quarts by the book but i always put in about 8.3

unscrew the oil filter and check the seals on the oil filter thing that the filter goes on...if any are missing it will fuck up oil pressure. if oil levels are good (assuming ur model comes w/ a dipstick) put some MOA in there and drive the piss out of it. normally the valve tapping will go away. if not bring it in under warranty and replace. if its not under warranty i would be happy to do it for you =)
M113 is post-1998...this is M117. As a "kid" (from your username) who is a certified tech (i.e. never sees the older cars), you're forgiven.

It's not the tensioner (replaced the Febi unit with an MB unit, still making the noise, plus no marks inside the valve cover).

I'm thinking the loud tapping is actually caused by a bad accumulator and the engine is starting because of the cold start valve but making the loud tapping noise because the fuel lines haven't repressurized yet - sound possible? (see https://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314766 for why I think I have a bad accumulator)

Are you in the 757?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 AM
civickid03
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation

nah im not i live in harrisonburg...
yea i just figured it was a 113 cuz u said sohc v8 with low miles lol..
did u adjust the tensioner properly when you put it in? i doubt it is the fuel line theory but i guess anything is possible...i know m119's pretty well but haevnt really messed with the m117s...

your saying you have identified it to one cylinder...if i was you (since everything is new) i would take the corresponding lifters out and soak them in oil overnight, pop them back in and see if the problem goes away...its weird that u are saying all of the lifters compress and return equally...

check compression in that cylinder make sure the valve isnt smacking against the valve seat due to improper machining or something (or is it really 100% brand spankin new?)...these are just ideas sorry i cant be more help ....im mostly 98+ with the exception of a few 104's and 119s
Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Originally Posted by civickid03
nah im not i live in harrisonburg...
yea i just figured it was a 113 cuz u said sohc v8 with low miles lol..
did u adjust the tensioner properly when you put it in? i doubt it is the fuel line theory but i guess anything is possible...i know m119's pretty well but haevnt really messed with the m117s...

your saying you have identified it to one cylinder...if i was you (since everything is new) i would take the corresponding lifters out and soak them in oil overnight, pop them back in and see if the problem goes away...its weird that u are saying all of the lifters compress and return equally...

check compression in that cylinder make sure the valve isnt smacking against the valve seat due to improper machining or something (or is it really 100% brand spankin new?)...these are just ideas sorry i cant be more help ....im mostly 98+ with the exception of a few 104's and 119s
No, now I'm not so sure I've pinpointed it to one cylinder. It's hard to pick out because it's only for a second or two, gives me a lot of misleading impressions.

They don't all compress and return equally, it's that none of them compress when pushed on with the wood handle of an engineer's hammer (this is how the MB service manuals say to check them).

It could even be the starter hanging up for all I know. It's so hard to pick out. One thing I've noticed is if I just touch the start position (instead of cranking until it starts up) when I start it it doesn't do this. So, somehow letting it sorta stumble its way to a start avoids the tapping noise.

As far as my hot start issue (need to crank it for a long time on hot starts, the longer I left it the longer I need to crank as long as it's still hot) is that pretty much 100% the accumulator?

Quick Reply: Who is pro at valve tap causes?