Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

difficult to put transmission in gear

Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: difficult to put transmission in gear

Originally Posted by The Guy
I had a friend who had the same problem. He had a vr4 with an aftermarket clutch. It wouldn't go in gear when on, but when it was off, it would go in. If you turned it on while a gear was engaged, it would jump forward. I told him to switch out his pressure plate. It worked after that. It turns out that the pressure plate had too much resistance for his hydraulic system to push the throwout bearing in.
If that was actually the case, the hydraulic pressure had to go somewhere, or else the clutch pedal wouldn't have been able to move at all.. So where was all the hydraulic pressure going?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 AM
The Guy
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Well thats the thing... It wasnt moving. Dude used one leg... nothing. Two legs... nothing. It just wasnt happening. He is a pretty strong guy, too.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
HEISENBERG
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

The clutch is not disengaging completely. How's the pedal travel? Does it feel right? Try adjusting the clutch pedal.
Does it move forward with the clutch disengaged but in gear?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 PM
good_fellaz_76
Registered Member

good_fellaz_76 has disabled reputation

I know exactly what it is...i had the same problem...Its your Pressure Plate...I had the same exact problem and i did everything possible...i did everything everyone has said to done on here...i thought maybe it was my fork and no it wasn't that either. It would go in while off and not when on...Its the pressure plate so change it and i guarantee you any amount of money it will be fixed...good luck
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Kana
13.5:1 Poor Mans R

Kana has disabled reputation

Its the clutch it self. Mine did the same thing and I just did one on another civic. The retainers for the clutch springs will get grooves worn into them causing the spring to move and lock up.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Turbobrick
executive member

Turbobrick Turbobrick

The clutch and pressure plate look ok, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. No unusual wear, broken springs.....etc. The clutch and PP are fairly new and have about 10K on them. There was a fair amount play in the clutch fork which makes me wonder if the bearing somehow slipped off. As soon as I can locate a clutch alignment tool I am going to put it back and see if that takes care of it.

Anyone in the NOVA area have a clutch alignment tool for a volvo 850 or know of another car that uses a 27/32" diameter, 20 spline clutch tool? I've called around all the local parts stores and the Volvo dealer but no one will sell it seperately.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
jpick_aap_cpp
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

sounds like the springs in the clutch disc decided they didnt like to stay in place. after reading the 1st page it sound 100% just like my problem (after hearing a few pops) while cruising through the neighborhood a few months ago.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
TITS
Ovechkinator !

TITS has disabled reputation

pressure plate or bent shift fork