Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Possible leak from 3pc re-barrelled wheel???

Old 02-08-2012 | 02:35 PM
JPrice!
Registered Member

JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice!
Default Re: Possible leak from 3pc re-barrelled wheel???

you had to have the center of the barrel re-sealed? who did it for you??

they told me if it was the silicone part leaking then for me to send them and they will fix no charge BUT shipping will be a bitch to cali.
Old 02-09-2012 | 07:56 AM
WALL-E
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

Originally Posted by JPrice!

they told me if it was the silicone part leaking then for me to send them and they will fix no charge BUT shipping will be a bitch to cali.
I don't know which part was leaking, I just had it taken apart and re-sealed. Some guy off craigslist did it in a hour or so. Cant remember his number.
Old 02-09-2012 | 08:28 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

It's actually pretty easy to do. Just pull it apart and clean everything up realy nice. Then run a bead of silicone around where the barrels meet and run your finger over it and get it to cover that hole wheel center. Then let it sit for 24 hours and you're golden. I did it for a buddy of mine. It's just time consuming.
Old 02-09-2012 | 05:46 PM
JPrice!
Registered Member

JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice! JPrice!

leaking from the tip of the valve stem thank god lol
Old 02-09-2012 | 09:18 PM
WishIHadaSilvia
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

I hate it when you have an air leak, but I love it when its at the valve stem!

I've had to redo two of my RSs more the once....one of the times was because a tire place I went to used some sort of lube that basically ate away the silicone I used to seal them up. When I took the old tires off the silicone was all wet and was falling off. I had not ever heard of that happening, it was pretty strange and took up quite a bit of my time to clean it up and redo it.

Glad yours is an easy fix!
Old 02-09-2012 | 09:57 PM
Odysseus Prime
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

leaking from the tip of the valve stem thank god lol
So it was just the valve core lol?
Old 02-10-2012 | 03:21 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
I hate it when you have an air leak, but I love it when its at the valve stem!

I've had to redo two of my RSs more the once....one of the times was because a tire place I went to used some sort of lube that basically ate away the silicone I used to seal them up. When I took the old tires off the silicone was all wet and was falling off. I had not ever heard of that happening, it was pretty strange and took up quite a bit of my time to clean it up and redo it.

Glad yours is an easy fix!
The rs" I had to do they tried fix a flat. It ate away the silicone to and made it leak worse.
Old 02-10-2012 | 04:54 AM
Uzi Crooklyn
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

fix a flat is the worst thing to put in a 3 piece wheel. it finds the leak, and opens it more. valve stem leaks are a beautiful thing. if you have a two piece valve stem, i'd recommend going all rubber. they are much better in my opinion.

just be glad you don't have to take all the silicone off and reseal them. that sucks so bad. even worse if you have to take them apart again.

i've seen wheel strip sealant before, basically its a strip they put in the sandwich, as opposed to laying a bead of silicone. i've got the worst hands ever, so i had to have stephen run my bead . multiple times <3
Old 02-10-2012 | 02:25 PM
JPrice!
Registered Member

Yeah looks like just the valve core! no bubbles from any bolts when I had them in the tub. I had called VR and luckily they said if it was leaking from the silicone they would fix it free of charge.