Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: Which transmission do you have/like?
Automatic
16.30%
Manual
83.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Trans: Auto vs. Manual -What do you like?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 AM
yanko 15
ig oggggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15
Default Re: Trans: Auto vs. Manual -What do you like?

OP if you're knees hurt from driving...id go with auto ha

im all for an enjoyable driving experience..but i wouldnt put myself through hell to get from point A to point B
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM
boredom
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

the only time i hate having a 5spd is sitting in rush hour traffic. if your knee problem is getting progressively worse, i would look into cars with the shift-tronic systems. granted they arent nearly as fun, but you shouldnt compromise your knees for a car.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Z33_Taxi
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

they're more fun than traditional automatic
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
boredom
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

true...[insert special olympics joke here]
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
terrible advice
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

honestly, it depends on the car. if you want a sports car, then there are some terrific automatic options, as others have suggested. a budget is crucial though....
Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 AM
blackout
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

you mentioned bmw 3-series in there... i imagine the autos in the 3-series would still be fun to drive. i haven't bought a car with an automatic transmission since my 68 chevelle i had 10 years ago, but my knees are fine... you really should consider just getting an automatic if they're as jacked up as you let on.

there are options out there if you have the money- as reloaded suggested, the dct's are the new hotness, but you can't get into one unless you buy an e9x m3 or ferrari. the smg's in the e46 m3 are pretty slick from what i hear... and i think somebody else mentioned the evo x's gearbox and i believe some other german cars (audi tts comes to mind...) have what are essentially manual transmissions without a clutch. if i just had to have an automatic i'd buy one of these cars specifically to have the performance of a manual.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Broke B16
-Rep Legion

Broke B16 has disabled reputation

I'd love an automatic some days, but most of the days I want an manual. I like to be in 100% control of my car. Being in an automatic just feels weird IMO.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 AM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

for a DD i'd never drive stick again. only for a fun car.

i'd say check out an auto 335i....friend has one and that shit is pretty sweet
Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 AM
phyber
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

Originally Posted by blackout
you mentioned bmw 3-series in there... i imagine the autos in the 3-series would still be fun to drive. i haven't bought a car with an automatic transmission since my 68 chevelle i had 10 years ago, but my knees are fine... you really should consider just getting an automatic if they're as jacked up as you let on.

there are options out there if you have the money- as reloaded suggested, the dct's are the new hotness, but you can't get into one unless you buy an e9x m3 or ferrari. the smg's in the e46 m3 are pretty slick from what i hear... and i think somebody else mentioned the evo x's gearbox and i believe some other german cars (audi tts comes to mind...) have what are essentially manual transmissions without a clutch. if i just had to have an automatic i'd buy one of these cars specifically to have the performance of a manual.
my knee injury is ITBS from cross country running, mixed in with years of working on concrete and not being conscious of my body. I can walk and run around fine, but when it hurts...IT HURTS.

aren't the bmw 3's equipped with a 6 cylinder? they'd be way better to have with auto than 4 cylinders.

What about automatic Subaru WRX's? I'd hate to buy a "performance" car with an automatic, i just couldn't shake the stigma that i didn't buy the "big boy" version.

but i'm really getting into a crossover or small SUV. Something like the Acura RDX, BMW x3 etc. Something more roomy and awd/4wd.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:43 PM
terrible advice
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by phyber
my knee injury is ITBS from cross country running, mixed in with years of working on concrete and not being conscious of my body. I can walk and run around fine, but when it hurts...IT HURTS.

aren't the bmw 3's equipped with a 6 cylinder? they'd be way better to have with auto than 4 cylinders.

What about automatic Subaru WRX's? I'd hate to buy a "performance" car with an automatic, i just couldn't shake the stigma that i didn't buy the "big boy" version.

but i'm really getting into a crossover or small SUV. Something like the Acura RDX, BMW x3 etc. Something more roomy and awd/4wd.
BMW x1 is coming over here soon, it has overtaken the Audi Q5 as the top-selling small SUV in europe. BMWs steptronic tranny is a great transmission. intelligent and adaptive to your driving. full manual mode as well. anytime i had a loaner, i enjoyed having it, but it can't really replace the manual. but you can get paddles.