Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections

Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 PM
leroy12
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leroy12 has disabled reputation
Default Re: New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections

Owning a modified car sounds very annoying in VA =\. I just left Okinawa, Japan and the JCI inspections there were along the same lines if not worse!

To the people that offered something informative, i really appreciate it! To Everyone else, thanks for keeping my post at the top!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Yardjass
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by leroy12
Owning a modified car sounds very annoying in VA =\. I just left Okinawa, Japan and the JCI inspections there were along the same lines if not worse!

To the people that offered something informative, i really appreciate it! To Everyone else, thanks for keeping my post at the top!
Oh, it is. Really, the easiest thing to do here is just don't have that shit on your daily. Buy a weekend car that is at least 25 years old and register it as a classic. Then you don't have to deal with any of that BS.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Scotty_Nooo
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

If you're military and you're from GA just leave the car tagged in GA. Then you don't have to worry about Va inspections.

I say this not knowing if GA has inspections or something similar, just a disclaimer.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:24 AM
pedro 2.0
carebearreps

pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0

Originally Posted by Scotty_Nooo
If you're military and you're from GA just leave the car tagged in GA. Then you don't have to worry about Va inspections.

I say this not knowing if GA has inspections or something similar, just a disclaimer.
yeah fuck va inspections
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM
idriveahonda
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Oh, it is. Really, the easiest thing to do here is just don't have that shit on your daily. Buy a weekend car that is at least 25 years old and register it as a classic. Then you don't have to deal with any of that BS.
I don't think you understand how the "antique" tags work. I'm not the know-all of this, but pretty sure they work as such.

Yes, you can register your car as an "antique" or "vintage"...but there are two classes. They are:
"Just for Show"
"Everyday Driving"

When registered as "Just for Show" you require no inspection, but the car is to be used specifically for travel to and from shows or promotions, at a distance of less than 250 miles. There is also a restriction that I can no longer find that put a maximum of "1000 miles" per year on the same automobile. From my discussions, any officer that pulls you in an antique car will typically record the mileage on the odometer (not "beatable") in case you are pulled again. Yes, it happens as most cars that are registered as such are cars that are identifiable...aka head turners.

You can't register your car as an antique AND get regular plates. The term "antique" is 1974 and after. The term "vintage" is 1973 and prior.

When used for "everyday driving" your vintage vehicle must be the same requirements as any other car on the road.

It's give or take. It's how they get around people driving old pieces of beat down shit and avoiding inspections.

If it's just a "fun" car...sure. Most of these people however use them as dailies.

Last edited by idriveahonda; 12-22-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Bridge Dweller
-RepLegion

Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller

I am curious about the 1000 mile per year restriction, now that it has been brought up. I have never seen such a limit from the Commonwealth of Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles, but I have seen similar limits from collector car insurance companies. I also believe that, the way the law reads, the 250 mile from residence restriction does not apply to any of the items listed except for occasional pleasure driving.

"D. Antique motor vehicles and antique trailers registered with license plates issued or authorized for use under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events;

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation or selling the vehicle or trailer, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner; and

3. To carry or transport (i) passengers in the antique motor vehicles, (ii) personal effects in the antique motor vehicles and antique trailers, or (iii) other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes. "
Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Yardjass
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
I don't think you understand how the "antique" tags work. I'm not the know-all of this, but pretty sure they work as such.

Yes, you can register your car as an "antique" or "vintage"...but there are two classes. They are:
"Just for Show"
"Everyday Driving"

When registered as "Just for Show" you require no inspection, but the car is to be used specifically for travel to and from shows or promotions, at a distance of less than 250 miles. There is also a restriction that I can no longer find that put a maximum of "1000 miles" per year on the same automobile. From my discussions, any officer that pulls you in an antique car will typically record the mileage on the odometer (not "beatable") in case you are pulled again. Yes, it happens as most cars that are registered as such are cars that are identifiable...aka head turners.

You can't register your car as an antique AND get regular plates. The term "antique" is 1974 and after. The term "vintage" is 1973 and prior.

When used for "everyday driving" your vintage vehicle must be the same requirements as any other car on the road.

It's give or take. It's how they get around people driving old pieces of beat down shit and avoiding inspections.

If it's just a "fun" car...sure. Most of these people however use them as dailies.
Yeah, I basically meant fun car as in "just for show". If I recall correctly, I saw something on the DMV website where you could get the plates basically because you like how they look but you're not subject to mileage limits and you still have to get inspections. That must have been the daily driving one you were talking about.

I'm planning on getting the just for show one for my Z. I only drove it about 2000 miles this year so it is a good fit. Also, I don't want to get it inspected any more and it isn't even to try and beat anything. I just hate having to get a car inspected every year that I've almost rebuild from the ground up, and that doesn't get enough use for anything to have changed from the year prior.

That odometer thing is kind of shitty though. Seems to me if you could prove some of those miles were on a race track, or similar event off of public roads, they would basically have no case against you.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:24 AM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

My dually has antique tags on it. I've been pulled over twice for dragging and neither time have they recorded the mileage.

Here in va beach, the cops really don't give two shits about antique tags on cars. I daily drove a 73 F350 for 4 months in the past with no issues at all.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Yardjass
LET THE HATE FLOW

A couple of months back, Portsmouth cops were pulling people over for having antique tags on their dailys to get out of inspections. They were running them on like 2002 year vehicles. I have no idea how the fuck they even managed that but they were doing it.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 AM
idriveahonda
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

Yea, I've been looking into them, but the specifics aren't extremely clear. As we just noticed, my interpretation is different from others.

I actually don't look forward to it as much...every damn ricer will register their early model Honda as "vintage" so they can try and avoid inspections.

Quick Reply: New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections