Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

amp problems?

Old 12-01-2005, 05:44 PM
j4k3
holla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: amp problems?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
But did you have power connected to it when you touched it with the ground?

no i had no power, i just had that one wired grounded
Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM
AWDAerioSx
Registered member

AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx

check the fuse inder the hood. my friend explained a situation to me on the phone for 30 minutes and i told him to check the fuse under the hood.i kept telling him that it had to be bad because his amp had no power. so he still just kept saying man it looks good,it is not broken in the middle.so when i went to his car i took the fuse out and i pulled it apart. it was broken on the end of the fuse where the gold end was. he just didnt want to listen but atleast he finally saw the problem.
change the fuse that is under the hood.it might seem good and not broke but it could be
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by AWDAerioSx
check the fuse inder the hood. my friend explained a situation to me on the phone for 30 minutes and i told him to check the fuse under the hood.i kept telling him that it had to be bad because his amp had no power. so he still just kept saying man it looks good,it is not broken in the middle.so when i went to his car i took the fuse out and i pulled it apart. it was broken on the end of the fuse where the gold end was. he just didnt want to listen but atleast he finally saw the problem.
change the fuse that is under the hood.it might seem good and not broke but it could be
Yeah..so if the power wire wasn't connected, how is it physically possible to blow a fuse on the power wire?
The answer is..it isn't possible.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if your amp hasn't been hooked up for a while (which means it's internal capacitors have long since discharged thenselves), the spark you saw was static from your body. This is bad news, because static on the human body can be tens of thousands of volts, which is why when you touch something metal in the winter the spark jumps so far. Think about a spark plug and the voltage required to jump a spark gap.
As far as semiconductors are concerned, tens of thousands of volts will blow the shit out of pretty much anything, which is why static protection is such a necessity when working on stuff like computers, etc. If you look (with an electron micrscope or similar) at the inside of a mosfet that has been zapped by static, it looks like a grenade went off at the microscopic level. It's pretty cool actually.
You've probably damaged something inside the amp, and I'm guessing it's one of 2 things because those 2 things are attached to the case of the amp most often.
The first is the power supply. The power FETs and rectifier diodes are both attached to the case, and will often be electrically insulated from the case, but a high enough voltage will punch right through the insulation.
The second is the power outputs to drive the speakers. If these are blown, they will often short out, make the power supply show an overlaod condition, and the amp won't work.
Either way you have an amp that doesn't work.
This is just my prediction of what may have happened.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
AWDAerioSx
Registered member

AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx AWDAerioSx

i dont even understand what he is typing when he is describing what he did. i was saying if he bumped something with the power wire and it sparked then he cound have blown the fuse. what accually sparked?what was hooked up already and what was he hooking up?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by j4k3
i was wiring up my amp and i grounded my wire then went to hook it up and i slipped and bumped the spot for my power wire and saw a spark... i've been told i might have blown the amp and i was just looking for some educated advice on if it could be blown or not??

Ground wire..
Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
MitsuColt
Registered Member

MitsuColt is on a distinguished road

hook the antenna wire up?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:46 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

^wtf!?

Just wire everything up again, your amp shouldn't be damaged.

The circuit was not fucked with its just a spark from the battery no biggie .
Old 12-04-2005, 01:33 PM
j4k3
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Originally Posted by druthafoo
^wtf!?

Just wire everything up again, your amp shouldn't be damaged.

The circuit was not fucked with its just a spark from the battery no biggie .

you think so? i had everything hooked up right by the looks of things but ah hell might as well try it again
Old 12-04-2005, 02:43 PM
EH3_SOHC
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

get a fucking voltage meter or at the least get a test light....check the inline fuse on the power wire those can go bad or "pop" and you cant always tell...also the glass can over heat and crack if its a cheap brand fuse...next check to see if your getting power from the remote wire, a quick easy way to do that (and free) is to run a very small wire over from the 12v spot on your amp to the remote wire spot on the amp with power running if it dosent cut on and your certain the fuse to your 12v supply isnt dead then that means 1 thing a bad ground..if its not the ground then its the amp....my way to check the ground is to either take the test light and do it like that or quickly touch it to your 12v wire, not exactly the best way but it works , if u do it fast enough u wont blow ur fuse
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
ecco
Registered Member

ecco has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 88 Si Y8 Crix
well i have an amp problem too.......i have a pos American pro 600w amp......it stays in protect mode all the time......wtf is up? it was working fine and then i hooked it up to other speakers...was fine....then hooked mine back up..and it stayed in protect mode.....ive disconnected it..etc etc...idk what the hell is wrong with it?

check your ground cable, if the ground is insufficient you'll have the same problem, if ground is good, then you probly need a new amp