Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Out-of-state Speeding ticket

Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 AM
HaPpYfAcE
wha?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HaPpYfAcE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Out-of-state Speeding ticket

yeah, that stinks...when i had a MD license and in VA, all the tickets i got went on the record, but none of the points transferred and MD didn't assess any points based on the VA infraction, so if they're doing that now, then oh well...no more speeding, lol.

Last edited by HaPpYfAcE; 09-29-2006 at 10:33 PM. Reason: i read the post below...
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Boxer4PSI
Patron

Boxer4PSI has disabled reputation

I need to clarify something that I said in a previous post. When I said that it would be treated as if it occurred in Virginia and that points wouldn't transfer, I did not mean that Virginia wouldn't assess you points.

Maryland and Virginia assess points and motor vehicle charges very differently. For example, doing 81 in a 65 in MD is a 2 point violation with a 75 dollar pre-payable fine (with the possibility that if you goto court in MD the judge will drop the points or issue PBJ). The charge is treated as a mere infraction.

VA considers the same offense a Class 1 Misdemeanor with automatic Reckless, requiring court date, possible license suspension, etc. of that nature. Points are much higher as well (in fact VA and MD point structures alone are dramatically different). Judges in VA also lack the power to reduce points.

The charge will transfer to your record in VA as a simple speeding charge. However, Virginia DMV will assess you points based on what they would have given you had the offense occurred within Virginia. So you would get assessed the amount of points that Virginia DMV gives out for simple speeding.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:06 AM
95IntegSE
Registered Member

95IntegSE has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Boxer4PSI
I need to clarify something that I said in a previous post. When I said that it would be treated as if it occurred in Virginia and that points wouldn't transfer, I did not mean that Virginia wouldn't assess you points.

Maryland and Virginia assess points and motor vehicle charges very differently. For example, doing 81 in a 65 in MD is a 2 point violation with a 75 dollar pre-payable fine (with the possibility that if you goto court in MD the judge will drop the points or issue PBJ). The charge is treated as a mere infraction.

VA considers the same offense a Class 1 Misdemeanor with automatic Reckless, requiring court date, possible license suspension, etc. of that nature. Points are much higher as well (in fact VA and MD point structures alone are dramatically different). Judges in VA also lack the power to reduce points.

The charge will transfer to your record in VA as a simple speeding charge. However, Virginia DMV will assess you points based on what they would have given you had the offense occurred within Virginia. So you would get assessed the amount of points that Virginia DMV gives out for simple speeding.

Ok, I understand now. So how many points will Virginia take off my license for that speeding ticket?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM
95IntegSE
Registered Member

95IntegSE has disabled reputation

oh yea just to add to this, i was using the famouse "Bel Pro RX65" all that detector did was pick up a big ticket. I was driving with traffic along the "fast lane" and Had no warning at all...... To anyone trying to invest in a bel pro RX65 I suggest getting another detector cuz this one was NOT worth the ticket.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
fventura03
Registered member

fventura03 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 95IntegSE
I suggest getting another detector cuz this one was NOT worth the ticket.
...or not speed
Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Turbobrick
executive member

Turbobrick Turbobrick

First off, you got nailed on lidar, not radar. Lidar is much more difficult to detect, as it is a laser and the width of the laser beam is like 4 ft at 1000ft. Compare that with a radar beam that may be several hundred feet at the same distance. For the most part, radar detectors are useless against lidar because in most cases by the time you get a lidar alert its too late.

Last edited by Turbobrick; 10-04-2006 at 10:59 AM.