Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

fuse keeps blowing?

Old 02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: fuse keeps blowing?

Originally Posted by njoyindaskyline
yeah the car just got a clutch and shifter box put in so it may be the reverse sensor, ill check that.
yeah i was told last night it could of been some wires touching and traced a few wires and did not find anything out of the ordinary.
looks like today im loose ground searching..........
i would check the harness near the airbox for pinching or being rubbed by the airbox. we've had several come in with the harness chafed by an open element air filter, and would short out intermittently causing a loss of marker lamps. especially since it happens when you "hit VTEC", aka move the engine alot.

Originally Posted by siclike7
all a short means, is that some how the wire got grounded BEFORE the load....result...the part dosnt work because the electricity found a faster way back to the battery. If that is all that happened then the fuse wont blow, no power was added, just rerouted. The only way a fuse is goin to blow is if more power than what the fuse is rated passes through. If a short accures, it WILL NOT affect the fuse, unless an outside power came into play.

"Short" means short to ground. Not short to power surge.
what......the.......fuck?

not like i'm an auto electrician or anything....but whenever there is a short to ground, some form of circuit protection will engage. ever heard of Ohms law? read up on it and you may see why it does.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Muncher
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Originally Posted by sil80er
hmm, ok well not to turn this into a debate, but what if the short is before the load but after the fuse. over current drawn through fuse equals blown fuse.
yes, but what would cause an over current? Nothing. Just because the wire grounded itself dosnt mean an automatic increase in current. The battery dosnt decide, o well, the parts not working because the power is skipping over it, so ill think ill over power the fuse.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Muncher
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Originally Posted by fc735

what......the.......fuck?

not like i'm an auto electrician or anything....but whenever there is a short to ground, some form of circuit protection will engage. ever heard of Ohms law? read up on it and you may see why it does.
are you serious....THE FUSE is the circuit protection devise....it protects the circuit from over powering the part by blowing itself up if to much current passes through it. It prevents you from having to replace a blown part. if the wire grounds itself between the load and the fuse...all thats going to happen is the power will come out of the battery, through the wire, through the fuse, and back to ground..There is NO surge of power just because the power found a differant way back to the battery.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM
hondub
I fix cars

hondub is an unknown quantity at this point

If theres no load in the circuit it WILL blow the fuse. It causes a huge amperage to be drawn through the wire when theres nothing to slow it down and use the electricity, aka the part thats not working. If there is a short to ground in between the battery and the fuse, it will melt the wire or something else until there is no more contact to ground. Obviously, after the fuse, electrons are finding a SHORTcut back to the battery before they get to the load component.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
mike nagz
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

Originally Posted by tecnic1
When did you get vtec?
like a million years ago.... got it from walmart when it first came out son. haha
Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Muncher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hondub
If theres no load in the circuit it WILL blow the fuse. It causes a huge amperage to be drawn through the wire when theres nothing to slow it down and use the electricity, aka the part thats not working. If there is a short to ground in between the battery and the fuse, it will melt the wire or something else until there is no more contact to ground. Obviously, after the fuse, electrons are finding a SHORTcut back to the battery before they get to the load component.
....im done arguing with you, now a 12 volt battery can melt a wire, friggin amazing. And for future referance...think about what you just said. If the fuse is before the load then the ALL of the voltage goes threw the fuse before the voltage drop after the load, therefore in your world, the wire would melt before the load, but not after because of the voltage drop.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:30 PM
hondub
I fix cars

WTF did you just say? That makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe i just didn't understand what you were saying the first time. I have been out of the loop for a while but YES, a 12 volt battery CAN melt a wire. Amperage melts, not voltage. If you want proof, take a moderately short piece of wire and hold each end on on of the battery terminals. A short wire has almost no resistance(load) and it will start to heat up and melt.

Ohm's law http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Sam...w/ohmslaw.html

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for burns on your hand

Last edited by hondub; 02-22-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 PM
hondub
I fix cars

EDIT: Actually wait... after re reading everything, you're a moron.

Last edited by hondub; 02-22-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by siclike7
are you serious....THE FUSE is the circuit protection devise....it protects the circuit from over powering the part by blowing itself up if to much current passes through it. It prevents you from having to replace a blown part. if the wire grounds itself between the load and the fuse...all thats going to happen is the power will come out of the battery, through the wire, through the fuse, and back to ground..There is NO surge of power just because the power found a differant way back to the battery.
dear God what are they teaching kids in school now days? do you think that a fuse is some form of current restrictor? uh, no.

to prove my point, i am going to ask you to do the following: take a piece of bare wire (no insulation, its to prove something out.) attach one end of it to the battery, go one side of a fuse, then off the other side of that fuse send another bare wire back to the battery, on the neg side. watch the fuse pop. then, take the bare wires, and twist them together.

you will then have a nice 1/8" burn across your palms and fingers, consider it like the scarlet letter, its a mark that you are retarded and should never do any form of electrical work. ever.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 AM
recz0r
Banned

recz0r is an unknown quantity at this point

you will then have a nice 1/8" burn across your palms and fingers, consider it like the scarlet letter, its a mark that you are retarded and should never do any form of electrical work. ever.

this made me el oh el, you guys probably shouldnt of told them and let them find out themselves first hand what it would do...

Quick Reply: fuse keeps blowing?