Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Weird popping noise

Old 04-30-2007 | 08:31 AM
Jongo
Registered Member

Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo
Default Re: Weird popping noise

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if you dig around, you can find deals on complete sets with both sprockets and a chain for $150-$175 usually. just make sure you get an o-ring chain. non o-ring's are alot cheaper, but they wear out 3 times faster.

i need new tires baaad, if you come across any sweet deals on a set (180/120, or 190/120) let me know
http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26360
Unfortunately, its in Nova, so I dont know if that helps you any.
Old 04-30-2007 | 08:49 AM
wfelt001
Registered Member

wfelt001 has disabled reputation

My bike started doing something very similar to that not like a month ago. I thought the chain was worn but it was a rubber strip on the swing arm the chain rides on, it had come loose and was throwin the chain off.
Old 04-30-2007 | 12:54 PM
Yamamaha
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation

its so weird though, cuz it doesnt happen as soon as i get on the bike after its been sitting, it will start to gradually doing it after about 20-30 minutes of riding.
Old 04-30-2007 | 02:48 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

cuz your chain gets hot after a lil riding, it'll make more noise then. you may have a tight spot in the chain too. get the back wheel in the air, and check the chain tension as you spin the wheel, it probably has spots where there's more play than others. you can't get a good chain adjustment with a chain like that. and it's noisy, and rides like crap.
Old 05-01-2007 | 06:34 AM
wfelt001
Registered Member

wfelt001 has disabled reputation

Yeah sounds like its just time for a new chain!
Old 05-01-2007 | 07:40 AM
Yamamaha
misunderestimated

Well.....do places carry those in stock typically, cuz i really dont want to wait a week for a company to order it and have me wait while its going to be in the upper 80's this week. Looking at the sprockets, they look to be fine, not really worn down or rounded on the teeth....
Old 05-01-2007 | 08:48 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

chains are typically an in stock item, sprockets usually aren't. you might try cycle gear though. if anyone was going to have them in stock, it would be them.

and like i said, just because a sprocket doesn't look worn, doesn't mean that it's not. it doesn't take a whole lot of wear to make a chain sit on it poorly, combine that with a worn chain, and you're gonna get funky noises and a rough drivetrain.

just replacing the chain may help with SOME of the noise, but putting a new chain on used sprockets will wear out that nice new chain real fast, and you'll be right back to where you are now. best bet is to just replace the set, and keep the chain properly adjusted and lubed.
Old 05-02-2007 | 10:59 AM
Yamamaha
misunderestimated

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
chains are typically an in stock item, sprockets usually aren't. you might try cycle gear though. if anyone was going to have them in stock, it would be them.

and like i said, just because a sprocket doesn't look worn, doesn't mean that it's not. it doesn't take a whole lot of wear to make a chain sit on it poorly, combine that with a worn chain, and you're gonna get funky noises and a rough drivetrain.

just replacing the chain may help with SOME of the noise, but putting a new chain on used sprockets will wear out that nice new chain real fast, and you'll be right back to where you are now. best bet is to just replace the set, and keep the chain properly adjusted and lubed.
Well.....ok, today i went ahead and got a new chain and new sprockets...it will be fixed here shortly.
Old 05-02-2007 | 01:40 PM
Up_on1
Murdered Out

Up_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to allUp_on1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shiftnlift
Well.....ok, today i went ahead and got a new chain and new sprockets...it will be fixed here shortly.
Stock setup again? Or did you do -1(F) and +2(R)
Old 05-03-2007 | 10:08 AM
BentValve
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Sprocket and chain set ftw, might as well replace both while you're at it.

Quick Reply: Weird popping noise