Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS

Old 07-01-2007 | 02:24 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS

Originally Posted by p-stone
Wait a minute... it had two gaskets and still held oil? Probably explains why it was so tight, it takes some serious turning to get a filter tight with two gaskets.
i was getting ready to say the same thing. usually one of the gaskets gets twisted, and it'll leak like crazy. someone probably saw the leak, and just tightened the hell out of it to get it to stop.
Old 07-01-2007 | 03:39 PM
Armenian
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

skiv if i ever sell u a bike i'll be sure to weld the oil filter to the block just because. hee hee
Old 07-01-2007 | 03:41 PM
NoRider
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

This happened to my dad a few weeks ago, took him 4 hours to do an oil change... well took him 3 hours and 45 minutes to get the filter off, then 15 to do the rest... ITS A BIATCH!
Old 07-01-2007 | 06:04 PM
zx636skiv

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Armenian
skiv if i ever sell u a bike i'll be sure to weld the oil filter to the block just because. hee hee
You suck!!!

I'll make sure to never buy a bike from you...only sell you pieces of mine!!
Old 07-01-2007 | 06:07 PM
zx636skiv

Steve, I believe you are correct. I haven't ever seen that, but now that I have, I can understand it!!

And after all this...new plugs, properly gapped and all, new filter and oil. Get the bike all back together (did I mention I had to remove the one piece header/ exhaust...it's all welded together...to finally get the filter off?); well, now the float in the carb bowl is sticking and the fuel likes to run out the pod filter!!

AAAAGGGGGHHHHH.

I hate working on other people's crap...I prefer my own junk!
Old 07-01-2007 | 06:09 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

probably trash in the float needel/seat. clean it out with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. if it still leaks after that, you gotta replace the float needle, and the seat if it's the replacable kind.
Old 07-02-2007 | 01:45 AM
zx636skiv

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
probably trash in the float needel/seat. clean it out with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. if it still leaks after that, you gotta replace the float needle, and the seat if it's the replacable kind.
Thanx mang! The seat isn't the replaceable type, and I will try the q-tip idea tonight! Already tried rapping on the sides of the carbs!
Old 07-02-2007 | 04:25 AM
tundrafiend01
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Need 2 B Lower
Hammer a screwdriver through the center and use it as leverage to turn it.
I've done this a couple of times to stuck filters. The first time didn't work out so well. Ask Grom . Just make sure you put the screw driver through the very end of the filter. If you put it too close to the block, you're going to hit the oil pipe...
Old 07-02-2007 | 04:41 AM
xshanex
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
Tried two different filter wrenches. The socket type actually twisted the filter! The wrench type compressed it. And the screwdriver throught the filter just made holes in it...that got bigger as I twisted. Hasn't budged a millimeter. I am bringing out a chisel next with the ball peen hammer.

I will have to take some pics when I am done!!

+1 on that! Same experience when changing the oil on my zx6r. Had a completely mangled filter by the time I was done....none of the sockets I found at the time fit my filter either. The screwdriver tore the crap out of it and didn't turn it at all
Old 07-02-2007 | 06:43 AM
Need 2 B Lower
Mini Trucker.

Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower

Originally Posted by tundrafiend01
I've done this a couple of times to stuck filters. The first time didn't work out so well. Ask Grom . Just make sure you put the screw driver through the very end of the filter. If you put it too close to the block, you're going to hit the oil pipe...
I do it all the time on cars that have them overtightened. My bike gets its oil filter torqued :]

Quick Reply: ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS