Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

So I washed my Sol...

Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Kris.Is.Foamin
Dickbutt #peentip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default Re: So I washed my Sol...

Originally Posted by Lester
Was that you at Freedom Wash?

(White DA)

Nope.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Atlantis
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

it's a sol thing. Happened in mine when I had it. never could figure it out. Try a search on Hondatech
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
99CIVICFTW
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

my car dit it before. run water over the whole trunk area then open it up and look for it dripping somewhere. good luck
Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
supra6
Registered Member

supra6 has disabled reputation

i had the same problem with my supra. i would wash it and find water in the spare tire area. so i replaced the hatch seal w/new oem. after install i washed the car again only to find more h20. so i replaced the seals that go in behind the taillights and havent had a problem since. dont know if this will help since we have complete different vehicles but thats whats up. hope you get it fingered out.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Tito
Bro'd Out

Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito

drill some holes and not worry about it?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Vanilla Face
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

Originally Posted by Tito
then get it rhino lined!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Griffin
GGR son

Griffin is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kris.is.awesome
How would it get to the spare tire and leave the rest of the trunk dry?
Its the lowest point of the trunk?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Griffin
GGR son

Griffin is on a distinguished road

On my old car I had the same problem. I knew how to fix it never did. First try the seals in the tail lights. Then if that doesn't work try sealing the jams thats what was wrong with mine. It did it once in a blue moon.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There are (white?) plastic clips on each side of the car that hold the painted sail panels in place around the trunk. Those plastic clips are the lowest part of the rain gutter assembly, so water will drain into the trunk. Water will pool around the back glass and notchback area, and there are drains from the glass assembly compartment down through the floor, but they can only handle so much water at once. The rain gutter area around the trunk is beautifully designed to drain water away from the trunk seal, but those clips are/were a massive oversight. The roof seals and all of that have great gutters and drains also, and I've never heard of a leaking problem with them, just around where the windows seal like any other car with frameless doors.

Remove the sail panels and clips, and seal around the clips with a good quality sealant when you put them back in. Might as well get some fresh ones while you're at it, they're cheap and will fit tighter. I've suspected that this is caused by the clips loosening up in the sheet metal punchouts over time, which is why fresh clips and sealant should go a long way.
Never park a del sol facing downhill when you're washing it or when it's raining, or you'll have some water inside. If it rains a lot, and it's parked downhill, water will pool against the notchback and will drain from the trunk into the rest of the cabin. Don't ask me how I know that.

Originally Posted by Kris.is.awesome
How would it get to the spare tire and leave the rest of the trunk dry?
I've always suspected that water ran along the underside of the sheet metal and into the tire well. Tape newspaper down with masking tape in the trunk, (remove the side and rear pieces of trunk liner first) and take a hose to it. Try to replicate the conditions when you washed it last, location, parking direction, etc.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-10-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Kris.Is.Foamin
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by Tito

Your ghettofab fix wont work for my problem, yeah, it'll drain the water, but rust will build up if i dont eliminate the water source.