Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

good place to get rims painted?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 PM
EGAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGAS has disabled reputation
Default Re: good place to get rims painted?

True Some home skill and rattle can can you get you far.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Brock Obama
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

First of all, I wouldn't paint wheels. I know that seems to be a pretty popular pass time amoungst many posters here, but I think it looks like shit and within about 5,000 miles, they're fucked. Spend the money and get them powder coated. But if your insistent on painting them, sand them down with some fine sandpaper, wash with a wax & grease remover like PPG DX330, prime and paint with a rattle can of your choice. Viola, painted wheels that look like shit.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM
ProbeGT-ZE
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

Originally Posted by XCELR8
First of all, I wouldn't paint wheels. I know that seems to be a pretty popular pass time amoungst many posters here, but I think it looks like shit and within about 5,000 miles, they're fucked. Spend the money and get them powder coated. But if your insistent on painting them, sand them down with some fine sandpaper, wash with a wax & grease remover like PPG DX330, prime and paint with a rattle can of your choice. Viola, painted wheels that look like shit.
i put over 15,000 miles on those wheels (got rid of them along with the car) and even after multiple washes, cleanings with a "wheel brush" (those hard things from pep boys) they never chipped or anything. i prepped the wheels by sanding them down and washing them with water and degreaser, after drying i wiped with some surface prep (tack cloth), sealed and shoot. it all depends on how you do it. these turned out pretty good imo. only took me about 2 hours or so since there were no tires on them.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Brock Obama
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by ProbeGT-ZE
i put over 15,000 miles on those wheels (got rid of them along with the car) and even after multiple washes, cleanings with a "wheel brush" (those hard things from pep boys) they never chipped or anything. i prepped the wheels by sanding them down and washing them with water and degreaser, after drying i wiped with some surface prep (tack cloth), sealed and shoot. it all depends on how you do it. these turned out pretty good imo. only took me about 2 hours or so since there were no tires on them.
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that. After 15,000 miles, even powder coated wheels are starting to show signs of wear and tear, much less a rattle can paint job. Just ask Cobra4B. Perhaps you don't have the attention to detail I do (very plausible because I'm one OCD son-of-a-bitch).
Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 AM
ProbeGT-ZE
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

i suppose, but i washed this car almost every 3 - 4 days and waxed it every weekend. mainly because if i didn't it would revert back to the custom milano pink it started out as, and as such i was always cleaning the wheels, looking at them and cleaning them. they never went more than 4 days without being washed.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 AM
odu_integra
War kittens?

odu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by ProbeGT-ZE
+1. I did mine and thousands of miles later, they are still looking good. I used the duplicolor primer, duplicolor black wheel paint and then a clear coat on top. Prepped them just like you did, and left the lip silver. Mine took a little longer though, because I had the tires still on there.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:55 AM
NeverEnough
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

I've done it and had no problems. I painted wheels on one of my RX-7s years ago and they had 40,000 miles on them when I sold the car. Aside from a few minor rock chips they looked as good as day one. It's all in how you prep and the materials you use. It takes someone with OCD to get them to turn out right.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Si Steezo
muziklounge.com

Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo Si Steezo

yea, if I had time and patience I'd do it myself. Most likely I'll take it to a place and let you guys know where I go.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Mr. Neon Boy
Still a member...

Mr. Neon Boy has disabled reputation

i can do them steezo. i painted mine bronze back in the day(with the help of Mark W.). then I painted them black w/ a polished lip by myself with great results before i decided to go with the ricer flat black. I assure you that I do good work. hit me up sometime of you like.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
dave22
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Originally Posted by XCELR8
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that. After 15,000 miles, even powder coated wheels are starting to show signs of wear and tear, much less a rattle can paint job. Just ask Cobra4B. Perhaps you don't have the attention to detail I do (very plausible because I'm one OCD son-of-a-bitch).
You do know most wheels come painted right out of the box, right?

Unless they're chrome or polished, they're painted (99% of the time! ).

Quick Reply: good place to get rims painted?