Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS vtec cammed -- piston Q

Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 PM
DeFunk
︻╦╤─

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk
Default Re: LS vtec cammed -- piston Q

Originally Posted by b18b
playing the guessing game isn't gonna work...only real way to find out is to degree the cams in and clay the motor
^^^ end of thread right there, don't piss your money away.. if you dont have the head yet, then you wait till you have the head and clay it, period.

The deck height of the 1.8L's are the same, however the intake valve relief differs, Vtec valves being 33mm diameter, non-vtec are 31mm.

You did a great thing by getting the spring sets (and retainers to keep things in play as well as weight reduction - but I bet your running stock keepers? It seems the majority always forgets those little nifty things that keep the retainers on, thus keeping your springs in place).

BUT. The duration/lift on those cams ARE aggressive -enough- to where clearance will likely be an issue or damn close (close enough to defeat the purpose of using a Vtec head). Thats even with a 0,0 gear setting (you -do- have atleast an intake adjustable cam gear I hope though get both).
Old 06-20-2008, 02:18 PM
DeFunk
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by theneonorder
Cool thanks, if i did want to upgrade to forged pistons, what exactly would i look for then?
That depends on your goals. Are you looking for HP increase? Raise compression, but thats just one thing of a slew of parts needed.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Big Boosta
Drives a "black" dc2

Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta

Originally Posted by DeFunk
^^^ end of thread right there, don't piss your money away.. if you dont have the head yet, then you wait till you have the head and clay it...
No i do have the head chillin, i was JW before i put it on, and if not what i need to do to be safe
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 PM
esohsee
I'm worse drugged

esohsee has disabled reputation

this motor is gonna suffer from lack of compression...
and i believe hsl are top end cams...
so the stock rod bolts should be replaced to take advantage of the cams.