Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo port&polish

Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
brandon.beene
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brandon.beene can only hope to improve
Default Re: turbo port&polish

you see why i have to ask on here lol too many different opinions even on here i think i am just going to say screw it and get it done anyways. It cant hurt it only make it better. like most have said.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nftuatn
id like to know what running a train has to do with porting and polishing a turbo
port and polish a turbo huh.........ok
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
Haters on a forum? Cause we told him the benefits of porting a head, and our opinion on the differences between a GSR and ITR head?

You sir are 1 seriously stupid fuck.

mmmmm kay dude port and polish on a tubo honda = nuthin but a lot of money to a guy with a die grinder and some flap wheels. (in most cases"

valve job guides good springs retainers better valves and cleaning up the head and a new tune...... will give your more results....its true dont argue with me.

you sir are a stupid fuck that drives a mustang.

the guy that posted above my original post was dead on. it should help a bit but for the money its not really worth it. build your head instead.

Last edited by weldmatic; 12-22-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Jarrod
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

What are your power goals and how much power are you making now?

Most head porters charge 800+ for a port job. Depending on your setup, is gaining 30 extra horsepower worth the 800 for the port job, the new headgasket, the retune and maybe labor if you didn't do the work yourself.

For most, it's easier to turn the power up by twisting the knob two clicks and strapping her back down.

For most street cars, a good valve job and tune goes a LONG way.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

i dont even think youd get 30 hp from a port and polish honestly...... granted it might flow better but think about it..... the stock valves are there.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Jarrod
braap braap

Originally Posted by weldmatic
i dont even think youd get 30 hp from a port and polish honestly...... granted it might flow better but think about it..... the stock valves are there.
I wish I had graphs to show you gains but I don't.

And 30whp isn't hard to gain from a turbo setup.
NA yes.

It depends on his power levels. On cars making 600 horsepower(with stock valves mind you) there have been major gains from changing heads.

Simple answer to the OP, turn up the boost a couple more PSI. It's not worth it.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

do you think you could get 30hp just from a pnp??? or going gsr to type r..... my opinion is prolly not.

you gotta agree the money hell spend for the pnp and parts and labor could be better spent on valvetrain with a new tune.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Grease Monkey
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

I agree with most of what's been said with the exception of the phrase "it couldn't hurt" If the head is ported by someone who doesn't really know what it is they are doing, than you could actually lose power. There is more to good headwork than simply going at it with a grinder and making the holes bigger.

That is why GOOD machinists charge what they do for their services. The first thing you need to ask anyone who is doing porting work is if they have a flow bench to actually verify what the head is actually flowing. If not than move along until you find someone with a little more experience. We aren't talking about 20 year old chevy heads here, honda heads flow pretty well stock and much of the gains from headwork doesn't come from simply enlarging the ports.

Last edited by Grease Monkey; 12-22-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
I agree with most of what's been said with the exception of the phrase "it couldn't hurt" If the head is ported by someone who doesn't really know what it is they are doing, than you could actually lose power. There is more to good headwork than simply going at it with a grinder and making the holes bigger.

That is why GOOD machinists charge what they do for their services. The first thing you need to ask anyone who is doing porting work is if they have a flow bench to actually verify what the head is actually flowing. If not than move along until you find someone with a little more experience. We aren't talking about 20 year old chevy heads here, honda heads flow pretty well stock and much of the gains from headwork doesn't come from simply enlarging the ports.
mmmmm hmmmm

Last edited by Grease Monkey; 12-22-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Jarrod
braap braap

Originally Posted by weldmatic
do you think you could get 30hp just from a pnp??? or going gsr to type r..... my opinion is prolly not.

you gotta agree the money hell spend for the pnp and parts and labor could be better spent on valvetrain with a new tune.
We are agreein' on the same point, we just have different reasons behind them .

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey

Speaking of heads. You should check out this new head I got Big waste of money, ported type r head. lololool.
(come get these freaking seat belts :P merry xmas foo. santa dropped them off at the wrong house though)

Quick Reply: turbo port&polish