Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

machine shop?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: machine shop?

I don't know if the splice sleeve will work. As it is, the new tube to replace the bent tube has a flanged end at the back and an end with a mounting hole at the front, so I need to keep the ends the same.

Yes, tube A has a pole in it that is very close tolerance; however, that pole is stationary within tube A (i.e. it is fixed in tube A and tube A slides over B as the tight-tolerance pole slides inside B.

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-11-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

This sunroof is driving me friggin nuts. I can't get the cable to thread back in. From the looks of how much does thread, it looks like as soon as it hits the bend that takes it down the C-pillar it stops.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

whatever you wanna try im down
Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Yeah, I have to get the cable in before I can bring it down to you though. No way to drive the car above 35mph without a sunroof in it (the buffetting between the roof and the sub-roof becomes unbearable).
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

it should be fine if you just crack the rear windows about an inch or 2
Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Originally Posted by nftuatn
it should be fine if you just crack the rear windows about an inch or 2
I tried that, didn't help. My only thought is maybe if I put the wind deflector in it would be okay. But, I'm determined to get this damn cable fed in here.

I'm going to go to Ace Hardware tomorrow and see if there is some sort of cone-shaped sanding tool for my dremel, and then I'll dremel out the inner diameter of the tube at the front. I figure maybe if I do that the beads on the cable won't snag on the lip of the tube, and then I can get some momentum behind the cable and it will clear the bend (it clears the first bend in the tube, but it gets to the second bend and just stops...stupid design to have so many bends in the path).

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-11-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

i got most of my tools and suck in my truck. my welder too.

try a messenger line through the tube...... i would think a piece of solid copper wire would work.... with a little soft soap as a lubricant or some grease..... then electrical tape the messenger line to the cable and pull it......
Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

yeah, that's my last resort. Getting the tube off the motor so i can get access to both ends is a hateful job to do. Apartment maintenance guy said he has some wire I can use though, so that's good.

Any idea on approx how much the fire extinguisher bracket idea I had would cost? Or will you not be able to even ballpark it until you see it? I ask because I might be able to get a group buy together (MB only sold the part in europe. a few made their way to the US, but it only fit a proprietary extinguisher and i want one to hold a standard sized extinguisher)

BTW, any pictures of that cowboy hat? Sounds awesome.

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-11-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

i work at a production advanced composites shop...... we have advanced composites tooling and a full out machine shop for metal tool fabrication..

depending on the design a simple bracket could be easy to make. any chance you have one??? or might have access to, to replicate???
Old 02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

I don't have one, though I might be able to get access to one. I was thinking just a metal bar with two tabs on it going towards the rear of the car to mount to the seat track and two clamps on it facing the front of the car to hold an H3R 1.3lb extinguisher.

I have no idea what an advanced composites shop is. Does it mean you could replicate an out of production aero bodykit from some lightweight material? (I could get a hold of a full kit for this purpose)

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-11-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: machine shop?