Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Boosted Tiburon.. IN NEED OF HELP PLEASE

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
SPAWN
I <3 My DSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of
Default Re: Boosted Tiburon.. IN NEED OF HELP PLEASE

boosted tiburon...wait what????? i give you much credit for doing something not many have done....+rep

also, does it at all go into boost before it does what it is doing? its kinda does sound like a boost leak....but, Chris (Fabrik8) knows what he is talking about too..soo
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
buugiewuugie
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Are you on www.rdtiburon.com? There are a few boosted tibbies up there. maybe someone there would be able to give you some help.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 PM
greatwhiteshark
Mikey Double U

greatwhiteshark has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Boosted Tiburon.. IN NEED OF HELP PLEASE

Originally Posted by DeFunk
Ditch the AFC and get yourself this: http://kfxperformance.ca/index.php?o...231&parent=261

Get tuned, have fun.
wholly shit dude, thank you!!!! have you seen this thing work? if so i am buying one right now!!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
greatwhiteshark
Mikey Double U

Originally Posted by SPAWN
boosted tiburon...wait what????? i give you much credit for doing something not many have done....+rep

also, does it at all go into boost before it does what it is doing? its kinda does sound like a boost leak....but, Chris (Fabrik8) knows what he is talking about too..soo
yeah i know i have been gettting a lot of heat for trying something different but i can't wait to prove all those people wrong. so +1 to you for giving me credit. well before i go into boost it drives like a regular car. i have had it tuned by Dyno Inc. and All aspects of Chesapeake and they both get the same reults as i stated in the first post.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark
wholly shit dude, thank you!!!! have you seen this thing work? if so i am buying one right now!!
It's cheap, but if it's a standard Megasquirt system then it only has 2 ignition outputs and 2 injector outputs. That means you can only do semi-sequential fuel injection and you have to do wasted spark ignition. That may work fine for what you're doing, but that is arguably better suited for a two cylinder engine than a four.

Honestly though, if that's your best tuning option and it's pretty much plug-and-play, go for it. There are a lot of standalone ECUs on the market but they are more expensive than that, would need custom harnessing, and I would seriously doubt anyone has a baseline setup/tune for your car.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-10-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
greatwhiteshark
Mikey Double U

so your saying Megasquirt Stage II - Standalone Engine Management won't work for my car? i saw that there was a choice for a cheaper one but i thought the stage II one work work for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

No, it'll work, it just can't do the same level of control that many/most ECUs could.

Usually for a 4 cyl engine (with coil packs) there are 4 spark outputs and 4 injector outputs. In the case of Honda stuff (because of the distributor) there only needs to be 1 spark output and 4 injector outputs. Having less than 4 injector outputs is less than ideal, because there are two injectors firing at once (if there are only 2 outputs but 4 cyls) and one of those obviously can't be at the right time in the firing sequence. Same with the ignition outputs, but it really doesn't hurt anything to fire a spark on a cylinder that doesn't need it. That's why it's called "wasted spark". Basically there always will be fuel going to two cylinders at the same time, and two cylinders always getting spark at the same time, and that may or may not actually be a problem. It's not great for emissions, but that doesn't matter because you're voiding all your emissions stuff anyway (turbo, non-OEM ECU tuning, and no OBD2 compliance).

I don't know, it's up to you and it sounds like a good cost effective solution for what you need to do. I'd say go for it. I just don't want you to blindly walk into something that you're not aware of, and judging by the popularity of Megasquirt many people don't seem to mind the minor drawbacks.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-10-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
greatwhiteshark
Mikey Double U

basically what it boils down to is my car won't be as "gas-friendly" as it could be. screw it i am tearing up the atmosprere anyway. i called All Aspects today and they said that would have no problem tuning with Megasquirt. thanks for the intelligent insight, if you want i will let you know how it goes, but it won't be until mid to late April, thanks again
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
UndaCovaTib
Registered Member

UndaCovaTib has disabled reputation

Three things:
1.register on Rdtiburon and ask around a bit.
2.one of the Admin. (redzman) is a douche and has a huge gerbil up his ass. Knows absolutely nothing about boost applications but will throw his two cents in everytime. Viper, Javageek, Jaws, and a alex01tib and swifttiburon all seem to know a good amount.
3. Don't buy from SharkRacing.com again. Stick with K-Spec if you need anything.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
greatwhiteshark
Mikey Double U

i looked at RD for a while and they kept giving me the run around. i am more focused with hyundaiperformance.com, they really know what they are talking about. they are the ones that motivated me to get the Megasquirt standalone, and i have a forum from back home that told me about it. what it boils down to is RD is not for me

Quick Reply: Boosted Tiburon.. IN NEED OF HELP PLEASE