Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Job Opening - System Administrator, Langley AFB

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
droptoprx7
IM BACK BITCH"S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
droptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Job Opening - System Administrator, Langley AFB

Originally Posted by subtexel
I'd be interested though it seems from the job description the pay and title will be way too low for me. I'll pass it around to some of the Jr. / mid-level folks and see if any are interested.
Originally Posted by tomurphjr
I must be blind. Where does he talk about pay?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
subtexel
Slow4door

subtexel has a spectacular aura aboutsubtexel has a spectacular aura aboutsubtexel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tomurphjr
I must be blind. Where does he talk about pay?
He doesn't, but I am pretty familiar with what they pay @ Langley for similar jobs based on job descriptions. Also, based on his description (both the job req, and his rundown of what you'll really be doing, etc...) it comes across as a Jr. - Mid level position.

Edit: person above me beat me to it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Khlept0
Trashed

Khlept0 has disabled reputation

Less yappin and more dropping resumes. Pay discussion is reserved for after you're vetted.

The pay will be determined by the person's skill set. There's obviously a range.

It's a mid-level position with potential to grow into a more enterprise level position. It's good for someone looking to fill bigger shoes in the future. This isn't one of those positions where you're hired to do one thing and you're locked into doing that for years. That's the only reason I didn't shoot for the stars when looking for a good candidate.

I'd rather get someone on the team who is able to learn, wants to grow, and has stellar troubleshooting skills than someone who has a paper MCSE/MCITP/CCNA.

Last edited by Khlept0; 03-23-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
subtexel
Slow4door

subtexel has a spectacular aura aboutsubtexel has a spectacular aura aboutsubtexel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Khlept0
Less yappin and more dropping resumes. Pay discussion is reserved for after you're vetted.

The pay will be determined by the person's skill set. There's obviously a range.

It's a mid-level position with potential to grow into a more enterprise level position. It's good for someone looking to fill bigger shoes in the future. This isn't one of those positions where you're hired to do one thing and you're locked into doing that for years. That's the only reason I didn't shoot for the stars when looking for a good candidate.

I'd rather get someone on the team who is able to learn, wants to grow, and has stellar troubleshooting skills than someone who has a paper MCSE/MCITP/CCNA.
Well, I passed this info onto a couple of guys. Mid Range, Windows people (not very many Windows guys around here), hopefully they contact you. (TS/SCI lifestyle / poly cleared). No clue about their MS skills, sorry (I'm not a Windows guy) but they have survived this long, so they know their stuff well enough.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

love it how these guys say your clearance must be active.... ha ha ha.

a ts can be acomplished so long as its been less than 2 years since active. seeing how your ts is de-activated once your debriefed from service or no longer on a cleared project.

since its the government as long as you pass a background check your ts will be approved..... try getting a sjr........lol
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
JStab
Its Lightish Red

JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab

I have no idea what half the shit said in here means, but i have a ts and i use windows daily.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Reloaded
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by 07civicSI
You realize that only a few people on this site if that hold a top secret clearance correct?
It’s much more common in the IT industry than you might think.

Some companies will even pay for you to get the background checks.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Khlept0
Trashed

Khlept0 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by weldmatic
love it how these guys say your clearance must be active.... ha ha ha.

a ts can be acomplished so long as its been less than 2 years since active. seeing how your ts is de-activated once your debriefed from service or no longer on a cleared project.

since its the government as long as you pass a background check your ts will be approved..... try getting a sjr........lol
It matters in how fast we can get someone into a position. If you know as much as you think you know, then you also know that DoD contractors are paid for filled positions, not vacant ones. if we hire someone and wait for their adjudication to be passed around to every authority in the world it doesn't do us any good.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 AM
camaro75

camaro75 is a name known to allcamaro75 is a name known to allcamaro75 is a name known to allcamaro75 is a name known to allcamaro75 is a name known to allcamaro75 is a name known to allcamaro75 is a name known to all

Is this for K-Force?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 AM
BAD4DR
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Khlept0
We have a vacancy our team on Langley AFB.

First I'll give the official description and then I'll tell you the ground-level description.

The Operations, Intelligence and Security Business Unit currently has an opening for a Systems Administrator. This is an hourly position. Job description: ***Applicants must possess a TOP SECRET/SCI clearance***. A successful candidate will provide technical expertise to support Microsoft Windows server systems and workstations in an Air Force / DoD environment. Responsibilities include support of Internal Networks, Data Security, E-Mail, Internet, Workstations and Printers. Maintain smooth operation of multi-client computer systems, to include administration of desktop computers, client servers, electronic mail, on-line and internet resources, local area networks and wide area networks, and standard application software products. Daily duties may include setting up user accounts, and installing system-wide software and allocation of mass storage space. Provide network and system tuning and maintenance to ensure network and system availability, optimization, acceptable response time, and end-user satisfaction. Ensure the backup and recovery policy is implemented and adhered to at all times. Complete any and all tasks assigned by the Systems Manager in a timely manner. Rotating on-call duty required. A successful candidate possesses considerable logic and understanding to analyze a problem or situation, identify options, select an optimal course of action and meet deadlines. Must have the ability to work independently with little guidance. Ability to respond quickly to rapid changes and accepts new challenges. Personable, professional, ethical and maintain a positive attitude. The work for this position will be performed at Langley AFB, VA. REQUIRED EDUCATION/SKILLS: Bachelor's degree in related technical diSCIpline and 3+ years of operating systems experience. Applicants must possess a TOP SECRET/SCI clearance. Minimum 2 years experience resolving technical issues including the server, network, desktop, account, permissions, passwords, etc. Experience should include working with Active Directory domain –OU, Group Policy, delegation, DNS, WINS, DHCP, Exchange 2003 management, and Roles/Permissions. Candidates must also have excellent communication skills both oral and written. Must be committed to results and success in accomplishing goals, as well as a fast learner with demonstrated ability to quickly learn technology and understand business requirements. Desired skills: Some Unix experience a plus. Familiarity with multi-platform environments.

Non-official description:
Realistically, you'll be doing a lot of desktop administration to start out with until we can figure out your specific skill set. You're only limited by your own ability. You could be a desktop support person or troubleshooting DNS problems with DIA if that's your thing. I'm hoping to get someone with some heavy Active Directory/Exchange experience. You're also going to have to take a Counter-Intel polygraph in the near future, so hopefully you're cool with that.

What's your email addy?

Quick Reply: Job Opening - System Administrator, Langley AFB