Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Bolts broken off in transmission, need help

Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Bolts broken off in transmission, need help

the tranny case is aluminum and the bolts are steel...if they are flush with the case as you say they are...try taking a grinder and put a slot in them...you should be able to cut into the aluminum a tiny bit ...maybe an1/8 of an inch...then you should be able to use a screw driver to get them out...

also get a propane torch and heat the aluminum very slightly ...it will cause the aluminum to expand and allow the steel bolts to be looser than normal...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
ShortyzKustomz
Anti "DONK"

ShortyzKustomz has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nftuatn
the tranny case is aluminum and the bolts are steel...if they are flush with the case as you say they are...try taking a grinder and put a slot in them...you should be able to cut into the aluminum a tiny bit ...maybe an1/8 of an inch...then you should be able to use a screw driver to get them out...

also get a propane torch and heat the aluminum very slightly ...it will cause the aluminum to expand and allow the steel bolts to be looser than normal...

Good idea on the grinder, still dont have any of that here but maybe I can come up with something, currently the car is sitting here at my g/fs apartment

Torch...
I thought about that but was worried the heat could mess up internals on the tranny cause aluminum spreads that heat quick
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

well it will...but mainly concentrate the heat on the bolt....it will dissapate throught the bolt into the aluminum..

i would grind a slot in it...then try to turn...if wont move then heat it and try turning it...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

or if you can get to it ...get a sharp ass metal chisel...and start on one edge of the bolt...and hammer the chisel in the counter clockwise rotation....

you dont sound like you have tools at your disposal....

but worse case...find a nut with a 1/2 inhole...sit it up against tranny where bolt is broken...

weld the nut to the broken bolt thru the center hole...it wont weld to the aluminum....

then put a wrench on it and spin it out
Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
ShortyzKustomz
Anti "DONK"

awesome ideas man, and your right, due to some situations I dont have tools like I used to "ie a welder and no place to use it and the compressor im selling on here cause I cant use it" I have tried the chisel thing, it aint happening, I even had a good chip to start on and it wouldnt move with the chisel. Im gonnna see if I can find a grinder with a cut off disc, and a shit load of extension cords and piss off everyone in this complex tomorrow night
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

you get this fixed yet???i wanna know what worked if anything
Old 06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
ShortyzKustomz
Anti "DONK"

Well I decided to try to grinder idea, but of course the cordless dremel I got didnt have enough time to charge, so it died on me like 10 times, I got some good grooves cut but not deep enough to break anything loose, letting it charge over night and hope to get atleast 2 out in the am. none of my drills will fit in there and I dont own a right angle and I got the dremel for $20, I should have got the better one though, but oh well... Kinda wish I had an impact screw driver, that would help in the am....But anyway I will let you know tomorrow, I got all new grade 8 bolts and a tap set as well. I work at 1:30 and its my only way to work
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

well if you cant get a drill in there im sure you wouldnt be able to get an impact driver and a hammer in there either
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
ShortyzKustomz
Anti "DONK"

I used to have a stubby impact driver...I have enough room in there now for a regular screw driver and on the one bolt its touching the fan shroud
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

oh ok...well on that sentra it should take about ten minutes to remove the radiator....un plug the fans and the two upper radiator clamps and move it...

Quick Reply: Bolts broken off in transmission, need help