Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Short Shifter Single or Dual bend?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:01 PM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: Short Shifter Single or Dual bend?

If he motor is out and you cant get the bitch pin popped with a punch and hammer you need to hit the gym Hercules.

As for the shifters. I say there is nothing wrong with going with a short throw. It's true that a freshened up OEM shifter assembly will offer tighter more responsive shifting than a worn out one a short throw with new bushings and hardware feels even better IMO.

The dual bend will position the shift knob closer to the steering wheel than the single bend. Other than that it's jut a matter of preference. Consider the B&M single bend. It's what I run and it's crisp and smooth as butter.

THAT SAID I agree with the above statement and would put money into the motor mounts before the shifter. Especially the torque mounts.

Last edited by burnoutboy; 06-18-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 AM
crxdudesi
Registered Member

crxdudesi has disabled reputation

I pull the shift linkage off the motor befor i pull i pull the motor out of the car.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

That makes it much harder because you cant get a full swing. Use an air hammer on a low, slower setting. You can do it on high but you'll send your bitch pin flying and could be hard pressed to find it.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM
elambz
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
If he motor is out and you cant get the bitch pin popped with a punch and hammer you need to hit the gym Hercules.

As for the shifters. I say there is nothing wrong with going with a short throw. It's true that a freshened up OEM shifter assembly will offer tighter more responsive shifting than a worn out one a short throw with new bushings and hardware feels even better IMO.

The dual bend will position the shift knob closer to the steering wheel than the single bend. Other than that it's jut a matter of preference. Consider the B&M single bend. It's what I run and it's crisp and smooth as butter.

THAT SAID I agree with the above statement and would put money into the motor mounts before the shifter. Especially the torque mounts.
I absolutely hate my Skunk2 dual bend in comparison to an OEM ITR shifter. I want to replace it, but I really don't feel like unbolting the exhaust to replace it.

OEM shifter, new bushings and some hardrace motor mounts is a good idea. You can ditch the torque mounts with a good set of motor mounts, although I'd still keep them.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
That makes it much harder because you cant get a full swing. Use an air hammer on a low, slower setting. You can do it on high but you'll send your bitch pin flying and could be hard pressed to find it.
WTF is a "bitch pin"..?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 AM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
WTF is a "bitch pin"..?
Honda part # 94305-80222. AKA a spring pin or tension pin. As knowledgable as you are about Hondas I'm REALLY surprised you havent heard it called that before but I have a feeling you're just busting my balls.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A little of both. I've heard lots of people call things lots of different names, none of which I remember because they don't have anything to do with the actual part. "Bitch pin" could be lots of things, possibly even some type of pin.

And yes, busting your balls.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

I hate short shifters!!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A little of both. I've heard lots of people call things lots of different names, none of which I remember because they don't have anything to do with the actual part. "Bitch pin" could be lots of things, possibly even some type of pin.

And yes, busting your balls.
Their should be a "Ask Fabrik8" thread stickied at the top of this Tech Talk section.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

I like short shifters on transmissions that are nice enough to shift well with a short shifter. That doesn't include Subaru trans.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Single or Dual bend?