Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help, Closest Dyno Newport News area

Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
88CRXHFBSTNG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88CRXHFBSTNG has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help, Closest Dyno Newport News area

Originally Posted by dave22
Also, the Dynapack will eliminate some of the variables you mentioned like straps and tire pressure.
sounds good, now if can just get the hell back home and do this. Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 88CRXHFBSTNG
My setup was stated from the begining now he is saying I have to put brand new stock CATS on, monitor AFR, etc. or its not a fair test. wants to change the playing field.
Tell the guy to go fuck himself. You're looking for a power increase and nothing else matters at all. The only thing that matters is whether you make more power or not, and that is what the argument is about.

And BTW, who cares what the AFR is, as long as it's in the safe range of operation? If you make an extra 20HP with an AFR of 10.5:1 (just for sake of example), or make an extra 20HP with an AFR of 12.9:1, you've still made an extra 20HP. Power isn't measured in terms of AFR, so AFR doesn't matter.

It's like having a chili cookoff to see who makes the best chili, but then telling everyone they have to measure the temperature of the chili while it cooks. Knowing what the temp is doesn't have any bearing on the taste of the chili obviously, so what's the point?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Oh, and by the way, if you're getting into a pissing match over tire pressure and strap tension (or suspension deflection), walk away. Neither of those things is important enough to worry about and there are much, much larger variables that need to be controlled. If the tires don't spin on the rollers and the car is safely retained, that's all you need.

Looking at the rough specs on the exhaust you posted, if you have a stock engine you probably aren't going to gain too much power unless the stock exhaust is rather restrictive. You may gain power in the upper part of the powerband, which is where the stock exhaust might not flow that well. You're possibly looking at losing some power lower in the powerband though, just by the increase in flow and piping diameter. If you don't need the extra flow, you're probably going to lose velocity with the larger piping which is not usually helpful.. Just saying that it's an equal length setup doesn't really say much, unless you know what the primary tube lengths are. If you don't know the length, you don't know what RPM the length is tuned to, so all you know is that you're more efficient than a non-equal length version of the same thing..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-23-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM
88CRXHFBSTNG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Oh, and by the way, if you're getting into a pissing match over tire pressure and strap tension (or suspension deflection), walk away. Neither of those things is important enough to worry about and there are much, much larger variables that need to be controlled. If the tires don't spin on the rollers and the car is safely retained, that's all you need...
That's been taken care of, it's going to be done on a dynapack. won't be able to fall back on those variables at least.

I may be totally wrong about this but right now I can't believe until I see it.

Thanks for the input,
Old 06-24-2009, 02:46 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Can you post the results here? I'm actually interested to see too, as you don't often see much HP gain with exhausts on Porsches (well 911s anyways, I never looked at Boxsters much). But then, I've never seen someone do as complete a setup as you're planning.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 AM
88CRXHFBSTNG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Can you post the results here? I'm actually interested to see too, as you don't often see much HP gain with exhausts on Porsches (well 911s anyways, I never looked at Boxsters much). But then, I've never seen someone do as complete a setup as you're planning.
You damn right. It will be video documented. I just found out my schedule, if I can get home before the 4th. I will have about 2wks to get it done. I'll post vids and results.

i
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
88CRXHFBSTNG
Registered Member

scheduled for this Friday. Thanks for the info.

Brady is super cool.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
88CRXHFBSTNG
Registered Member

a few pics of the parts, installing after I do the baseline dyno tommorow.

headers, mid-bypass, and mufflers.