Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

obd2 dizzy obd1 motor problem?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 PM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: obd2 dizzy obd1 motor problem?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You guys are both misinformed, and are both ignoring the fact that many/most JDM OBD2 engines don't even have the crank fluctuation sensor, which is what you're calling the "crank position sensor" that is on the block.

All critical engine position sensors are in the distributor.
yea im not terrribly familiar with jdm engines all i know is all the obd2 motors i have worked on have all had the sensor near the crank. but they have all been usdm. i had no idea it was called the crank fluctuation sensor, thought it was the crank position sensor since, well, it has a sensor at the crank and the distributor having a crank position sensor still is wrong in my head, simply because it is on the head, haha but i know its all in there...but this is why we have you.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 06-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yeah, it's a little odd because many engines have their crank sensor where the Honda crank fluctuation sensor is. Well, many engines don't have a distributor at all or don't have any engine position sensors in the distributor. So yeah, slightly different than a lot of stuff.

The crank fluct sensor is used to compare differences in crank acceleration with the crank position sensor in the distributor. It's a strange thing to need but it's very useful when the other sensors aren't direct mounted to the engine. I have no idea why Honda clung to that design for so long, but it probably has something to do with fast/cheap engine assembly.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 AM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

well, either way its good info and im glad to learn something. so thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 AM
mike nagz
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

i was thinking that the ecu was looking for the sensor and it was not present, yet i didnt realize he said it was a chipped ecu until i just re read the post.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by nagger
i was thinking that the ecu was looking for the sensor and it was not present, yet i didnt realize he said it was a chipped ecu until i just re read the post.
Being chipped doesn't have anything to do with looking for a sensor that wasn't there. It wasn't looking for a sensor that wasn't there, it's looking for sensors that are exactly where they're supposed to be. Chipped or not, the ECU can't run the engine without a crank and cam position sensor, which in any case are always in the distributor.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM
OUTKAST SOL
Registered Member

OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL

Ok so I'm alittle confused now because More Impatient and Nagger are telling me to change to an OBD1 dizzy but Jarrod is telling me thats its just my wiring thats the problem...Which one is the correct fix? If its the pin out thats the problem can someone put a pinout up so i can check it again just to make sure....and if its the dizzy that needs to be switched i need jto buy an obd1 vtec dizzy from someone cuz my wires for my pickups are all coroded in my old one.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

You can use an OBD2 distributor. That's why you can use an OBD2-OBD1 harness if you want to use an OBD1 ECU for tuning, etc. It's plug and play. You have a wiring problem or something similar.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:48 PM
civickid03
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation

to wire it up correctly simply pin out each circuit from the ecu to the dizzy connector using a multimeter (set up to measure continuity of course)..

yea its kind of a PITA but it will only take 15 mins..