Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Does VDOT periodically clean off the emergency lanes on the highway?

Old 07-02-2009 | 06:07 AM
DickButt
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt
Default Re: Does VDOT periodically clean off the emergency lanes on the highway?

Originally Posted by JDM_EJ2
3 weeks ago I was driving behind a dude with a bunch of ladders on the top of his van.

One of them came loose and flipped down 495 like a damn ninja star.

The ladder is sitting on the shoulder mangled to hell.

I pass it every day and wave.
I swerved to miss a refrigerator once on I-64. Bitch was still sliding and no one stopped.
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:12 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Does VDOT periodically clean off the emergency lanes on the highway?

Now that I think about it... I haven't change the oil since going to Carlisle last August. Since the car isn't tracked anymore I'll just got back to regular Mobil 1 vs. the Amsoil and go back to 5w30 vs. the 5w40 and a M1 filter vs. the K&N. The K&N has that nut on the bottom which hangs down and will be even more of an issue once I put the coil-overs on.
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:16 AM
TehMascot
Stuck on I-66

TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot

Originally Posted by Chris@SCAutos
I swerved to miss a refrigerator once on I-64. Bitch was still sliding and no one stopped.

I did that once.. except replace refrigerator with HUGE old ass oak cabinet big screen TV.
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:32 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
No... no dent... the oil pans are cast aluminum and very strong, just a small scratch. Could a oil filter take a hit and be damaged internally, but not show external damage? Something that restricts flow at idle somehow, but isn't an issue at cruise/wot?

I guess I should rephrase "chunk"... basically I can see where it hit and a small piece is boogered up... I'm not concerned about the integrity of the crossmember. I will be giving it a good look over when I install the coilovers etc soon.
Oil filters are like heavy duty soda cans. You'll notice damage; it doesn't take much to dent one, and you'd surely see scratches, etc.

I don't really know much about that oil pan, but does it have moving baffles or anything internally that could have stuck shut with an impact? I can't imagine what could have caused a drop in oil pressure, especially only at idle. Usually a flow restriction is a flow restriction, and will affect pressure at all flow ranges.
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:40 AM
Natchez
Non Spelling Asshole

Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez

Originally Posted by Chris@SCAutos
but if a Statey had a guy pulled over everyone would slam on there fucking brakes like an infant was crossing the highway
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:43 AM
Natchez
Non Spelling Asshole

Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez

Now that I think about it... I haven't change the oil since going to Carlisle last August.
i dint look anything up but isn't itsuggested that you change your oil every 6 months or 3k miles?
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:44 AM
blah
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Default Re: VDOT periodically clean off the emergency lanes on the highway? Hit some concrete

Lat night just before the Witchduck exit heading towards 64 I pull off to put my top in as I hit a rain shower I thought I was going to be able to miss... I was greeted by what appeared to be a 6' x 6' x 6' approx. chunk of concrete... As most of you know a Corvette, especially a lowered one, doesn't have anywhere near 6' of clearance and being that it was night, once it was in my field of view there was nothing I could do but drive over it.

I cringed and them a loud CRACK and what sounded like throwing a chunk of ice down on the pavement a the chunk of concrete broke up into pieces. Luckily it was concrete and not a chunk of metal so it was able to break up some.

It took a small chunk out of my front crossmember and put a tiny scratch on my oil pan, but in all the crossmember did it's job... it's just frustrating that that type of shit is just sitting on the shoulder... along with all the other bullshit that was over there. I won't be surprised if I have a nail in some tires.

Couple this with the "speed bumps" all throughout the hampton roads highway system and I'm about to write a letter to VDOT.

It does look like they've started to shve down some of the bumps in areas of 264, but it's like 3 down 300 to go.

/rant
Dude, a six foot cube of concrete is like 4 of these bundled together.

How the hell did you not see that? I vote you deserve what you got.
Old 07-02-2009 | 06:52 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: VDOT periodically clean off the emergency lanes on the highway? Hit some concrete

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Oil filters are like heavy duty soda cans. You'll notice damage; it doesn't take much to dent one, and you'd surely see scratches, etc.

I don't really know much about that oil pan, but does it have moving baffles or anything internally that could have stuck shut with an impact? I can't imagine what could have caused a drop in oil pressure, especially only at idle. Usually a flow restriction is a flow restriction, and will affect pressure at all flow ranges.
I agree w/ you... if something was stuck shut it should be causing issues everywhere. The oil pan is baffled and it has a windage tray, but nothing moves AFAIK... at least the ones I've taken apart I don't remember seeing any moving parts.
Originally Posted by ProjektPhoto
i dint look anything up but isn't itsuggested that you change your oil every 6 months or 3k miles?
Generally it's at least every year for synthetic oil. As far as mileage... well I'm a believer in extended drain intervals w/ good oil. In my truck I go every 10k or once a year. My car has a better OLM (oil life monitor) than my truck and I typically get 7-8k out of the oil before it's time for a change. But... I haven't driven it much at all lately. I'm going to change the oil/filter this evening and see what happens. Who knows... the motor could just be showing it's age.
Originally Posted by blah
Dude, a six foot cube of concrete is like 4 of these bundled together.

How the hell did you not see that? I vote you deserve what you got.
Yeah it was fuckin' huge... my car is totalled.
Old 07-02-2009 | 07:26 AM
Douglas
static air

Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas

Couple this with the "speed bumps" all throughout the hampton roads highway system and I'm about to write a letter to VDOT.

It does look like they've started to shve down some of the bumps in areas of 264, but it's like 3 down 300 to go.

/rant
YES, fuck those speed bumps.

I'm not even able to drive my car to the beach anymore. I rather take the 1.5 hour drive to nags head on smooth roads.
Old 07-02-2009 | 07:41 AM
THATS FRESH
SSHNIPER

THATS FRESH is on a distinguished road

i forget what comedian performs here at the funny bone, but he always opens up his act about how the same cones on the highway are still there from his last visit.

VDOT needs some serious attention

Quick Reply: Does VDOT periodically clean off the emergency lanes on the highway?