Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Hondata's N/A 720whp RSX

Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
WatIdIS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WatIdIS WatIdIS WatIdIS WatIdIS WatIdIS WatIdIS
Default Re: Hondata's N/A 720whp RSX

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's a fiberglass shroud over the ITBs. None of the pics that I saw had a supercharger or turbo or anything in them.

wat
Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

None of the pics that I saw had a supercharger or turbo or anything in them.
You'd have to read the captions under the pictures in the linked article to get the bits about the superchargers

Here's the 3 configurations of the car from the article.

NA (I'm guessing they just remove the bottles?)

G/GCC- and G/FCC-class regulations forbid forced induction, and Doug knew that the easiest way for the hungry K20A to breathe on its own would be through a set of individual throttle bodies. "Kinsler and I tested dozens of combinations of varying width, length and shape runners and inlet set-ups before deciding on what you see here, and a lot of the data went into the revision and development of off-the-shelf kits." To make the most of them, Doug's RSX spins IPS S2 cams for naturally aspirated duty, and fuel is provided via four 1,200cc RC injectors, managed with a Hondata K-Pro to produce 284.9 whp and 182.2 lb-ft of torque.

Nitrous

In the "fuel" classes, where the use of an oxidizer is permitted, Doug uses a custom Edelbrock direct-port dry system that delivers two 70hp shots that produce a total of 415.7 whp and 274.4 lb-ft of torque. "We found that we could effectively increase power by a factor of about 50 percent before reliability becomes a concern," he explains.

Nitrous + Superchargers

Not much changes with the engine for blown-class prep. Two Kraftwerks Rotrex superchargers--a C30 and a C38--are fitted to the engine, and plumbed into a liquid-to-air intercooler. Injectors are swapped out for 1,600cc RCs, the IPS cams are yanked in favor of a stock '06 TSX intake cam and an '04 RSX-S exhaust cam, and the engine is re-tuned to make 684.7 whp and 390 lb-ft of torque. "The linear power production and instant throttle response of supercharging is very advantageous to top speed racing," explains Doug, "And we found that two smaller chargers offer the ability to spin faster than one large one,"--an important point to mind when your engine spends about a minute and a half of each run producing between 600 and 680 whp at a constant 8,500 and 9,500 rpm. Adding a small shot of nitrous to this set-up produced just over 765 whp once, "But that was just for fun," Doug advises.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by eXploited

This is the first pic I'm talking about. I understand it has alternate setups with the superchargers, etc., but the first pic in this thread is definitely N/A, no intercooler or superchargers.. I saw the other pic in the article though.

Oh, I see what's going on here. You're saying it's not N/A because of the nitrous. I still consider it N/A with the nitrous setup.. Or maybe I'm just really confused. I only see two engine configurations, and either you use nitrous or you don't..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-02-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
eng
Administrator

This is the first pic I'm talking about. I understand it has alternate setups with the superchargers, etc., but the first pic in this thread is definitely N/A.. You must mean the first pic in the article gallery?
I spot with my little eye ... direct port nitrous injection

Now true it may or may not be actually connected to a source.

My only real beef with the article was making a big deal about how the car didn't have a turbo. Okay... but to get the really impressive numbers it needed nitrous and superchargers, as a NA only motor while being quite nice it is nothing amazing.

Oh, I see what's going on here. You're saying it's not N/A because of the nitrous.
Correct. I think (especially in Honda land) NA = all motor = no power adders.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by eng

I understand what you're saying, I still consider it N/A unless the nitrous is actively injected. It's just a minor point.

Originally Posted by eng
Luckily I don't live in Honda land and only occasionally visit.. LOL..

It's very clear cut in my mind. Switch turned off, N/A. Switch turned on, not N/A.
If I want to add nitrous to an N/A engine, I will. I don't care if people faint and scream about N/A purity and all that bullshit. The only people who really care about that stuff are the people who care more about being trendy than they do about performance. But maybe I'm just opinionated..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-02-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
JDMtoDeath
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

Originally Posted by eng

My only real beef with the article was making a big deal about how the car didn't have a turbo. Okay... but to get the really impressive numbers it needed nitrous and superchargers, as a NA only motor while being quite nice it is nothing amazing.

no N/A is N/A.. Naturally aspirated. nitrous is still considered N/A in the honda world or any other.. now All-Motor on the other hand.. thats a diff story but you can't tell me that this pic is an N/A set-up.. unless you're blind and don't see that supercharger and two air filters instead of one..
http://image.importtuner.com/f/29115...ooler_shot.jpg
Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
eng
Administrator

I understand what you're saying, I still consider it N/A unless the nitrous is actively injected. It's just a minor point.
I'd agree with you as well.

My only point being in that state it made ~285 whp, a far cry from the 700+ the thread/article implies. An almost 300 hp NA car (while is a nice achievement on its own) is far less interesting than a 700+ hp NA car.

Originally Posted by JDMtoDeath
no N/A is N/A.. Naturally aspirated. nitrous is still considered N/A in the honda world or any other
While perhaps technically correct (or maybe its just semantics?), nitrous is almost always in a different class (usually the same as turbo/superchargers) compared to cars without.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Originally Posted by JDMtoDeath
no N/A is N/A.. Naturally aspirated. nitrous is still considered N/A in the honda world or any other.. now All-Motor on the other hand.. thats a diff story but you can't tell me that this pic is an N/A set-up.. unless you're blind and don't see that supercharger and two air filters instead of one..
http://image.importtuner.com/f/29115...ooler_shot.jpg
I'm totally bored with arguing this, the "first pic" which was supposedly not N/A is apparently a different first pic than I'm seeing.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
JDMtoDeath
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

I'm totally bored with arguing this, the "first pic" which was supposedly not N/A is apparently a different first pic than I'm seeing.
The link i just posted was the "1st pic" that was up when myself and others commented arguing the N/A fact... before OP took it down.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

So we're arguing about pics that don't even exist any more. Nice. That would explain a lot though.

Quick Reply: Hondata's N/A 720whp RSX