Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

help lowering my friends rsx

Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: help lowering my friends rsx

I understand what you're talking about, and I've never heard of that happening. So you're the first, and I think you might have had a damaged axle or something like that. There really shouldn't be enough force on the upright to be able to de-mate the axle sections unless you're doing something really weird.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
jdm monkey
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

it wasnt any upright force, it was outwards.
im not talking about the splines popping out.

so hard to explain. i guess he'll just worry about it when it happens.
he'll just have to open up the boot to put it back into the socket. plain and simple

Last edited by jdm monkey; 09-29-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Ok, so here's some basic terminology. An upright is what the hub and hub bearing are housed in, which is attached to that "single wishbone" and the strut. I think some people call it a knuckle, which I've never really understood. So let's call it a knuckle if that's what you're familiar with. So you have the axle, whose outer joint is attached to the knuckle with the axle nut, etc. You need a fair amount of force, much more than the weight of the knuckle/hub/bearing assembly, to pull that axle section apart. Like I said, I'm not sure what you're doing that would rotate the knuckle outward enough to pop stuff apart, because the weight of the assembly by itself shouldn't be capable of doing it. Maybe you have some interesting technique for removing the strut?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
jdm monkey
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

im talking about the inner cv joint getting pulled apart.It is beacuase this part can be separated with little force. or with enough force caused by the hubs not being supported while the struts are not installed
http://www.2carpros.com/first_things...nt_cv_axle.jpg

this separation happens when he has the strut out with the hubs just hanging out with no support.

pls dont assume i have a special technique because i fail to explain, or you fail to understand.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

I definitely understand what you're talking about. I just don't understand how you did it while removing a strut.. I've never heard of anyone having that problem before while lowering a car, myself included. I'm not sure why you think I don't comprehend.. I'm really tired of talking about this though.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
jdm monkey
LIKE A BOSS

it happens on the RSX. the hub has enough slack for this part to come apart.

and im done talking about this too

to the OP, dont be too worried about this. but if it happens ill help out.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:23 PM
TTEOmason108
EbaySpecial

TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108

thanks everyone sorry i havent checked the thread in a few days but ill deffinitely be careful and watch out just incase ^

and rob, im doin ben murphys rsx. i got him into moddin his car haha he loves it

but thanks again so much for everyones input it should be a breeze. and ill be in touch if i run into any problems. ill post before and after pics when its done
Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
JayPee
shit

JayPee has disabled reputation

its very easy.
jack car, take off front wheel, unbolt strut from hub assembly, pop the tie rod end out, don't use a pickle fork for that boot, it rips hella fast. remove brake lines, open hood unbolt the top hat from the underside of the car body. three bolts.(may have to remove front tower depending on what he has on it.) install new in assembly in reverse order. make sure you check that brake line, it should only go one way in full rotation. repeat on other side.
rear, remove wheel, and bottom of strut. open the hatch. push back seats down depending on side. remove the two nuts holding the strut into place. install in revers order. you may need front/rear camber depending on what he goes with, and regardless and most deff get an alignment.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
TTEOmason108
EbaySpecial

TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108

got it^
and yeah i already got him to order front and rear camber kits and weve got a place for the camber adjustment and alignment