Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Career advice

Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Career advice

Originally Posted by TransAmWS6
go to law school!
Yeah. That's what we need around here - another lawyer...

May as well open a Mexican restaurant and a cell phone store while you're at it....
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM
slowz06
psn u sdwyz n slo ln

slowz06 has disabled reputation

How about another taco van
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM
TransAmWS6
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

Originally Posted by slowz06
How about another taco van
this.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM
slowz06
psn u sdwyz n slo ln

slowz06 has disabled reputation

we can call it muchos authentos van tacos
Old 10-11-2009, 07:19 AM
GaRn
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

I don't think monster.com is the way to go, I think I read a statistic last year that about 3% of jobs hired come from online ads, which includes monster.com along with all the others.

IMO, especially if looking locally, networking events are a good way. I know in the IT world there are IT specific networking meetup groups that meet regularly. Good way to get your name out or get your foot in the door.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Fake it till you make it. Its not about your degree as much as you think - if you know what you're doing. Some people have a way of going big, and far, without ever setting foot inside a classroom. So dont let yourself think that just because you have a business degree from Roanoke that you'll be set by handing out 50 resumes in a month. I have several friends in your exact position, who have been in that place for months. Roanoke has a great business program; im a current student there - but not in business.

My point is: go out, meet people... hang out in the areas where the business men hang out, figure out who is who... and what certain people do. Who you know will get you further than what you know - more often than you think. Be confident, network, get people to like you... and you'll be pretty well set; having a degree will just make it that much easier to get into these places.

Also,
Unless you're dead-set on staying in Roanoke, get out... there are many other places out there with much more opportunities. It just depends on your personality; if you're comfortable in Roanoke then stay here, see what happens... If you're a go-getter, everything on the line, don't know what will happen next type of guy, got to NYC or some big city and never look back... you'd be surprised at how fast things can explode, in a good way.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Pick up the game of golf. Rich, old fuckers wash each others balls there and you'll make it big one day.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Originally Posted by Heiss M3
Fake it till you make it. Its not about your degree as much as you think - if you know what you're doing. Some people have a way of going big, and far, without ever setting foot inside a classroom. So dont let yourself think that just because you have a business degree from Roanoke that you'll be set by handing out 50 resumes in a month. I have several friends in your exact position, who have been in that place for months. Roanoke has a great business program; im a current student there - but not in business.

My point is: go out, meet people... hang out in the areas where the business men hang out, figure out who is who... and what certain people do. Who you know will get you further than what you know - more often than you think. Be confident, network, get people to like you... and you'll be pretty well set; having a degree will just make it that much easier to get into these places.

Also,
Unless you're dead-set on staying in Roanoke, get out... there are many other places out there with much more opportunities. It just depends on your personality; if you're comfortable in Roanoke then stay here, see what happens... If you're a go-getter, everything on the line, don't know what will happen next type of guy, got to NYC or some big city and never look back... you'd be surprised at how fast things can explode, in a good way.
Actually, a lot of times it is about the degree. I've been passed over for more than a few jobs for the sole reason that I don't have a degree...
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
ded
slo truk

ded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
lockheed martin (sp)
Great company, I've been with Lockheed for 7.5 years, but we don't have anything in the Roanoke Valley (that I'm aware of). But if the OP is interested, I can put his resume in the system, I'll even split the bonus if he gets hired. Almost all of our positions require a security clearance tho.

Another option is the military, since you have a degree, you can go in as an officer and get some management experience.

Micah brought up a great point about networking, pretty much everyone that I've seen hired into my program has been a direct referral from a current employee. Who you know will almost always get your hired before your resume/experience will.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Actually, a lot of times it is about the degree. I've been passed over for more than a few jobs for the sole reason that I don't have a degree...
While that may be true, it also depends on the field if work he wants to go into. If someone wants security in their vocation and is fine with being a salary-man, working a 9-5 monday-friday job then a degree is definitely the way to go - absolutely nothing wrong with that. It ensures that you'll have a solid, secure job.

If someone is a real go-getter and has an entrepreneurial drive, then the sky is the limit and a degree is not needed. I know guys with 6 figure incomes who got their degree and have had the same job for 20+ years, and are happy and pleased with what they do. I also know guys who have 7 and 8 figure incomes who either never went to college or did and got very impressive degrees. It goes both ways. What it really comes down to is what field of work you go into, and what type of personality you have. Dont let having a degree or not having a degree get in the way.

Quick Reply: Career advice