Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

why does my rear tire keep slipping?

Old 11-10-2009 | 02:01 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: why does my rear tire keep slipping?

if you ran the tires that are on the bike right now, at the track, there's your problem. Track pace will KILL a set of street tires in a hurry. All the "preservatives" in the rubber that keep them from rotting away will actually boil out of the rubber. You'll notice alot of "blueing" of tires after they're been on the track. That's b/c they got HOT. Hence why racer's and track junkies sell thier take offs, still with plenty of tread, to people NOT on the track. They know they tires are shot, tread depth be damned. At a "normal" (read: LEGAL) street ride, it's not really that big a deal, but the more you push it with a tire that's been heated like that, the more likely you are to get 'em spinning, especially if it's colder outside.
Old 11-10-2009 | 02:04 PM
djgrom
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if you ran the tires that are on the bike right now, at the track, there's your problem. Track pace will KILL a set of street tires in a hurry. All the "preservatives" in the rubber that keep them from rotting away will actually boil out of the rubber. You'll notice alot of "blueing" of tires after they're been on the track. That's b/c they got HOT. Hence why racer's and track junkies sell thier take offs, still with plenty of tread, to people NOT on the track. They know they tires are shot, tread depth be damned. At a "normal" (read: LEGAL) street ride, it's not really that big a deal, but the more you push it with a tire that's been heated like that, the more likely you are to get 'em spinning, especially if it's colder outside.
I think he is only talking about the drag strip though ::shrug:: what do I know.
Old 11-10-2009 | 02:06 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by djgrom
I think he is only talking about the drag strip though ::shrug:: what do I know.
well, burnouts still chew up tires, lol.

sportmax's aren't the stickiest tire in the world though.

Is the bike stretched, or just lowered?
Old 11-10-2009 | 02:51 PM
Lars
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars

it's just lowered. next time I have the bike home I'm going to raise it back up though, i finally got around to buying a kickstand for stock ride height. I like your answer about heating up the tires causing the "preservatives" to boil out, thats along the lines of what I was looking for.
Old 11-10-2009 | 02:55 PM
j4k3
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

That sort of explains why my tires turned a little blue in the summer after I rode with chappe a few days.
Old 11-10-2009 | 03:25 PM
djgrom
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Originally Posted by j4k3
That sort of explains why my tires turned a little blue in the summer after I rode with chappe a few days.
Ohhhhhhhh don't flatter yourself.
Old 11-10-2009 | 04:12 PM
j4k3
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Lol I was always like wtf does my tire have a blue color to it for? Not saying I'm good I guess it was just from heat.
Old 11-11-2009 | 05:52 PM
rollingstock
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

id never ride on that tire.... shiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttyyyyyyyy

10k 1st gear, id flip over

and who corners in 1st gear....
Old 11-29-2009 | 12:56 PM
DIMford
Registered Member

DIMford has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if you ran the tires that are on the bike right now, at the track, there's your problem. Track pace will KILL a set of street tires in a hurry. All the "preservatives" in the rubber that keep them from rotting away will actually boil out of the rubber. You'll notice alot of "blueing" of tires after they've been on the track. That's b/c they got HOT. Hence why racer's and track junkies sell their take offs, still with plenty of tread, to people NOT on the track. They know they tires are shot, tread depth be damned. At a "normal" (read: LEGAL) street ride, it's not really that big a deal, but the more you push it with a tire that's been heated like that, the more likely you are to get 'em spinning, especially if it's colder outside.
Good Post. I will say that I have ridden take offs during the winter and never found a problem with them. But I won't ride even close to the rubber I am running on the street. That's what the track is for.
Originally Posted by rollingstock
id never ride on that tire.... shiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttyyyyyyyy

10k 1st gear, id flip over

and who corners in 1st gear....
Valid point. Unless it's a very slow turn.
Old 11-29-2009 | 02:05 PM
pasty
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

Originally Posted by DIMford
Valid point. Unless it's a very slow turn.

I don't even use 1st gear. I get a running start with the clutch lever held in with the bike in 3rd gear, pop the clutch out, hop on the bike, and ride away. I used to have a bike that would only start like that and wouldn't shift into 1st or neutral.

Quick Reply: why does my rear tire keep slipping?