Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Voltage regulator

Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsrhach has disabled reputation
Default Re: Voltage regulator

well i have no obvious wiring problem and i dont think the ABS system is causing the drain . with the ABS system unhooked several different ways and hook up . the current its still getting drained . And yea i was thinking the same thing im pretty sure its not due to a failure in the voltage regulator but the wire you were tlaking about to the light . when i ground that the light does come on and the abs system kicks on. But when your driving and the system voltage gets low the light kicks on like it is saposed to . another thing i forgot to mention sorry is that the under dash fuse box wires before the plugs to the fuse box have been tampered with before . ( not by me ) and i have verified that all of those wire are ok .
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

but i am going to double check all of those wires again on friday evening when i get the chance there is always that human error possibility we all experiance . and leter smack yourself for . ha

And yes obviously under load it will produce a lower voltage , but still not charging the battery. And the reason i threw anything up on here is because its bothering the hell out of me . esp. not being at the shop figuring it out .

Last edited by gsrhach; 12-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So the charge light is coming on when you ground the white/blue wire? All that says is that the light on the dash works, because that wire doesn't have anything to do with the alternator function. It's just an indicator.

I'm guessing that there is either a problem with the ELD, which means you need a new fuse block, or there is a bad connection between the ECU and the alternator or the ECU and the ELD. Those things could affect whether the alternator is getting controlled by the ECU properly.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

ok thank you and i will be checking those two signal wires asap. another thing i swapped out the whole fuse box with another known fuse box that is fine . So im pretty sure the ELD is fine

also i dont understand why the ABS kicks on when i ground that signal light wire
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by gsrhach
also i dont understand why the ABS kicks on when i ground that signal light wire
That's completely baffling... I can't understand that at all. Are you just judging that the ABS is working because the light shuts off? If so, you might not have any problems at all and the whole ABS problem could be something related to the gauge cluster, meaning the alternator issue is completely unrelated.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

im sorry man . no the abs pump charges itself and the ABS light that has been on since i recieved the car turns off . i havent driven the car and tested it but . ok let me explain that as well . the ABS light on the dash has always been on and the pump has never kicked on / pressurized the system . until i grounded the white/blue wire
Old 12-16-2009, 12:57 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

Example . I disconnected the green four pin connector plug from the alternator . Then took a piece of wire stripped both ends . Put one end down into the pin where the White/blue wire was and grounded the other end of the wire to the body of the car . When i had this wire grounded and turned the iginition on (ignition 2 .. second click .) the light comes on as it is saposed to . Also the ABS pump located and the front passengers side of the vehicle right behind the light kicks on , pressurizing the ABS system. What baffled me is that it kicked on .???
Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've got wiring problems. So you're grounding the wire in the harness, or grounding the pin on the alternator?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

Thank you for your help with it all . I have been F'ing with this car all week and have had no luck. At first I put another alternator in thinking that was the problem . The car has 2 problems and as far as i can see. One,the ABS light stays on all the time and two the battery not getting recharged
Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

I am grounding the wire on the harness

Quick Reply: Voltage regulator